Southwire

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

I’m sure this is off topic, but it will be coming your way.
Southwire is asking open forums to stop using the word “Romex (registered trade mark)” without the registered trade mark (R) on the end.

I dug deeper, and found that they purchased assets of General Cable, and now they are pushing agendas. See article below:

The Romex? brand of Non-Metallic Building Wire (“NM”) originated in 1922 with its development by the former Rome Wire Company, a predecessor to General Cable Corporation. On September 5, 2001, Southwire purchased the electrical building wire assets of General Cable Corporation. One of the most valuable assets purchased by Southwire in that acquisition was the Romex brand of Type NM cable. The Romex brand of Type NM cable has now been promoted and sold by Southwire and its predecessors for 88 years and Southwire considers its Romex trademark to be one of its most valuable brand names. Romex is a federally registered trademark and we vigorously monitor and protect the use of the Romex brand in North America and around the world. Don’t just look for generic NM cable, look for Southwire’s Romex? brand Type NM cable!

mivey

Good grief. You would think they would be proud of the word being repeated "?" or no "?".

If I were them, I would want people in forums and around the world repeat the word "romex" a million-billion-trillion times because my roll of wire at the supply house would be the only one with those same letters stamped on the package.

It is not going to impact the contractor sales one bit. What will matter is when the DIY-type goes to the store looking for that word he hears all over the place. Guess what brand he will find?

Start curbing the use of the word "romex" and you have cut your market exposure, at least in my opinion.

resistance

Southwire seems to be off their rocket on this one!!! I assume they don?t want other sites getting hits when people are searching for their ?now owned? Romie product.

The best way to get companies in line, is to stop buying from them!!!

renosteinke

I can't say I blame Southwire for trying to protect their trademark. Xerox has tilted at the same windmill for years. They would have you take this phrase "I ran some romex ...." and edit it to be "I ran some Southwire Romex alt 0174 brand NMC ....."

Yea, right. Just like McDonalds sued the Clan McDonald for stealing 'their' name. It just won't happen. When your product becomes THAT successful, the trade name is sure to enter the common language, become public property. Just ask Bayer about 'aspirin.'

resistance

Someone came up with an idea for all this mess: Anytime someone types in their name, or product name, it should appear as: *****. Why advertise a company that refuses to ?want? to be advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.