Floor heat installed in ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

I was at one of the builders I do work for parents house. Now I have never heard of this but behold ill never stop learning. They have plaster ceilings that are heated with electric and controlled by electric thermostats. They did have it go bad in an area and someone installed new heat like floor heat in the ceiling has anyone ever heard of this and i also noticed they did not bother to put a thermostat with the ground fault sensor and temperature sensor that usually goes in the floor. Has anyone ever installed this stuff it was old except for the area that got replaced. They say it is efficient. I do not know what brand it was replaced with but something seems fishy.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Where I live there are many older homes with this heating system. Not a single person likes it and claimes it to be very costly to run.

i have not repaired any but converted to other heating system when gone bad. The heat cable are very similar to the single cable systems today but have no ground braid. The GFCI reqirement is fairly new I don't recall which code cycle would require it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That was done around here years ago but have never seen it being installed. Forget about trying to add any lights in the ceiling. Basically it is installed on the sheetrock board and then a coat of plaster is installed over it. Not popular as you still need a central a/c system here so it is costly.

Since heat rises I don't see it as being as efficient as heating the floor.

kwired

Electron manager
That was done around here years ago but have never seen it being installed. Forget about trying to add any lights in the ceiling. Basically it is installed on the sheetrock board and then a coat of plaster is installed over it. Not popular as you still need a central a/c system here so it is costly.

Since heat rises I don't see it as being as efficient as heating the floor.

In order for heat to go downward the drywall has to have foil backing to reflect radiant heat downward.

Heat in floor is still better because heat rises. Any lost heat in a ceiling goes up away from the space being heated.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I was sort of under the impression that the OP was implying that possibly they used a standard floor heating mat for the replacment. I'm inclined to think that would be a violation of its listing. Can you even still buy heat cable listed to be imbedded in ceiling plaster?

iwire

Staff member
I was sort of under the impression that the OP was implying that possibly they used a standard floor heating mat for the replacment. I'm inclined to think that would be a violation of its listing. Can you even still buy heat cable listed to be imbedded in ceiling plaster?

I agree that is what he seems to be saying but I (and I think the others) just assume he is calling it 'floor heat' because he had never run into ceiling heat before.

stickboy1375

I've never seen it installed in my time, but Ive drilled through it a few times... :) (note to self, always, always check what heating system is installed in every room before proceding)

Status
Not open for further replies.