Standby Generator for Temporary power on job site

Status
Not open for further replies.

rey-man

A power panel is installed nearby the generator approximately 20ft. This panel is intended to have emergency power only.

The panel is on a higher elevation than the generator. A RGS conduit elbow was installed from the panel and extended conduit of 4 ft in length.

At the generator, a PVC conduit was extended vertically and had a bend to line up with the panel's conduit. it also extended a couple of feet.

Wiring was installed from the panel to the generator.

between the ends of the conduits from the panel and the generator, wiring is exposed. The contractor decided to use a corrugated plastic liner to cover it up and protect from the elements. however, the liners came in pieces and was just tie-wrapped around the wires.

based from this description, can someone point out a code violation? i wanted to post a picture but I don't know how.

Mr. Moderator, can you help me posting the picture?

Thanks for your responses.

reyman

Last edited:

rey-man

55 views and no response at all...there's should be something wrong with my post.

basically, there's is no continuous conduit from the panel to the generator. there is a gap between the panel and generator exposing wiring to the elements. the wiring just got covered with a plastic corrugated liner.

i want to reference an article in the code that would find this installation non-complying and not safe.

thanks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Violations, if any, depend on wiring method is used.

To start, when you say wiring is exposed, is it cable and what type of cable, or something else? How does the wiring connect to the generator... by plug or hard-wired?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Article 590 is temporary wiring.
NEC may permit the install but I would think OSHA might have something to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.