Is there a standard (for motor manufactures) so we know motor rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Standard is CW when looking at the drive-shaft end... or CCW looking at the other end. If you wire as such, with verified phasing, the probability of correct rotation is greater than 50% ;)

I would be curious to know what type of work they were doing to reverse rotation where the need to swap elbows came into play. Were they changing out a pole or switching circuits in a vault, or what? May even be that the ones doing a simple padmount change didn't pay attention to where the elbows were landed in the first place and switched them up when reenergizing the XF.

We had a building that had been supplied by one HV circuit to a pad mount that supplied the building at 4000 amps 208Y/120.

This was changed with the utility bringing in two new separate HV feeds to a new small substation with the substation re-feeding the original pad mount, a new pad mount and three more transformers on the roof of the building.

At some point they energized for me to do a rotation check and I had my guys land 8 sets of 600 copper onto a new 3000 amp main.

A couple hours later they put the power on for good and I found the rotation had swapped. At first the power company guys said it had not but once I brought up the fact one of my guys saw they were having trouble getting the substation energized they admitted they screwed up.

At that point I asked them to swap elbows at the pad mount as that was a 10 minute job vs an hours long job moving the 600s that would likly not reach any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.