2 circuit light track

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsoto

If I specify 2 circuit, 3-wire light track, for use in an interior lighting application, does the code require that the overcurrent protective device feeding this length of track, be a 2 pole circuit breaker, or at the very least (2) single pole breakers with an approved handle tie? I guess I'm asking if a run of 2 circuit light track is considered a multiwire branch circuit by the NEC.

If I need to specify a 2 pole circuit breaker to protect this run of track, can I still specify (2) single pole toggle switches (or other single pole control device) to control each circuit separately? The whole point of having 2 circuit track is so that one can control one circuit of track independently from the other circuit.

iwire

Staff member
If I specify 2 circuit, 3-wire light track, for use in an interior lighting application, does the code require that the overcurrent protective device feeding this length of track, be a 2 pole circuit breaker, or at the very least (2) single pole breakers with an approved handle tie? I guess I'm asking if a run of 2 circuit light track is considered a multiwire branch circuit by the NEC.

Forgetting about the track for a moment the circuit supplying will have to be a multiwire branch circuit and will have to have a common disconnecting means.

As far as the track itself actually being an NEC multiwire branch circuit I think we could argue that for many days. :)

If I need to specify a 2 pole circuit breaker to protect this run of track, can I still specify (2) single pole toggle switches (or other single pole control device) to control each circuit separately? The whole point of having 2 circuit track is so that one can control one circuit of track independently from the other circuit.

Absolutely, you can control them independently.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Don't they make two circuit track with a separate neutral connections? That would eliminate the MWBC and the handle tie thing completely.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

If the load on the two circuit track is permissible then only one circuit can feed a 2 circuit track. A 2 circuit track is a bit of a misnomer since it can be fed with one circuit and 2 switches.

iwire

Staff member

IMO if it is 3+G conductor track the only legal option would be a single MWBC.

If you can get '2-neutral' track like you described above you could feed it with two 2-wire or 1 MWBC.

I have never seen 2-neutral track but it would not surprise me if it exists due to dimming systems that require separate neutrals. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What I am saying is if the load on the circuit is not greater than what is allowed, then only one circuit can feed the track-- You would have 2 switches fed from one circuit feeding the 2-circuit track-- 2 circuit does not necessarily mean 2 circuits are needed just 2 switch legs.

rsoto

2 circuit light track

Thank you all for your replies.

There does exist 2 circuit 2 neutral tracks. It's a 5-wire track that has 2 line busses, 2 neutral busses & 1 ground bus. It's used mostly in commercial lighting applications where dimming of each of the 2 circuits is required.

I liked the answer about feeding the 2 circuit track with only one branch circuit. I could still control each of the 2 track lighting circuits independently, but I could feed the entire track run from only one branch circuit, & take 2 switch legs up the the track. It eliminates the multi-wire branch circuit conundrum.

Thanks for all who replied.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

There does exist 2 circuit 2 neutral tracks. It's a 5-wire track that has 2 line busses, 2 neutral busses & 1 ground bus. It's used mostly in commercial lighting applications where dimming of each of the 2 circuits is required.

I liked the answer about feeding the 2 circuit track with only one branch circuit. I could still control each of the 2 track lighting circuits independently, but I could feed the entire track run from only one branch circuit, & take 2 switch legs up the the track. It eliminates the multi-wire branch circuit conundrum.

That is exactly what I was saying. :thumbsup:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I thought that I had installed something like that in a store installation. :happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.