Washer receptacle GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
is a 120 Volt receptacle installed in a garage for a washing required to be GFCI protected? I have looked at 210.8 but it doesn't address individual branch circuits.

WorkSafe

I see no exemption for this. 210.8 is for branch circuits.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-
ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in
210.8(A)(1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuitinterrupter
protection for personnel.
(1) Bathrooms
(2) Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor
located at or below grade level not intended as habitable
rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas,
and areas of similar use
(3) Outdoors

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
is a 120 Volt receptacle installed in a garage for a washing required to be GFCI protected? I have looked at 210.8 but it doesn't address individual branch circuits.

In other words it must be gfci unless you have a local amendment and you are not on the newer code cycles.

rich000

That is new to me. It looks like they changed it in the 2008 code. That kind of stinks because now the receptacle for the garage door opener has to be a GFCI (Hopefully, you would install the reset at the breaker or a receptacle in the wall so it is easily reset).

Good info in this forum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is new to me. It looks like they changed it in the 2008 code. That kind of stinks because now the receptacle for the garage door opener has to be a GFCI (Hopefully, you would install the reset at the breaker or a receptacle in the wall so it is easily reset).

Good info in this forum.

If you are on the 2011 you must install the gfci in a readily accessible location. We use a dead front GFCI by the door to the house, for the garage door opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.