VLF/Tan Delta Test and Environmental Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mityeltu

I am currently working on a functional evaluation of an ERCW cable. Tan delta dn withstand tests were run to determine operability of the ERCW pump.

Here's the problem I have. According to the tan delta test, one phase of the cable needs to be scheduled for replacement according to our g-spec (general construction spec). All 3 phases passed the withstand test. My question is concerning the tan delta and weather conditions. It had been raining the day before the test and was raining during the test. After the rain had ceased (the following day) the tan delta was rerun and the data improved.

I want to say that the atmospheric conditions contributed to the failure of the tan delta portion of the test, but I can find no supporting documentation to suggest that water in the conduit or high humidity conditions may cause erroneous tan delta results

Can someone shed some light on this? Does anyone have any empirical data to back this up? Perhaps a white paper?

Thanks.

zog

I think there was just an entire NETA World issue on this subject, and yes, I would expect moisture to effect Tan Delta readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.