90 degree flex connectors in wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

batch

I have always been told that you cannot put a 90 degree connector inside of a wall or where it will be inaccessible after installation. I have never been showed the code.

I have had several recent jobs where two of our installers thought they could put the connectors inside of a wall that was going to be finished over with drywall. I also had one that thought he could splice low voltage conductors inside of a wall.

I would like to show them the NEC section that pertains to this. But, could not find it myself.

Anyone know where I could locate it?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I say this applies.

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods).
Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure

or finish of the building.

renosteinke

Define "Flex."

I stress this, as the code prohibition applies only to flexible conduit, but does not apply to similar-looking things like MC and AC.

batch

Well, I was referring to flexible metallic conduit and LFMC.

Though, you couldn't put a 90 degree rigid fitting or a box inside a wall either.

kwired

Electron manager
Can you cite a code section for that? I can't think of one. (assuming the fitting does not have a removable cover)

Is there a section that permits use of short radius elbows without removable covers? I have only (and rarely) used them for confined areas with short nipples, but have always assumed they are not NEC compliant.

Maybe they have a listing and are permitted if their instructions are followed?

Buck Parrish

I too, would be interested where it is written that low voltage splices need to be accessible. As LV led's are being used more and more now.

hurk27

I have always used a rule of thumb that if a raceway method allows removal and addition of conductors then I don't install a fitting that make the raceway no longer accessible in the wall or other hidden places, I don't know how many times I have had to deal with this on service calls, Those little right angle elbows, covers or not are almost imposable to remove or install conductors after the wall is up, while they might make an installation easier, they sure can make a repair job a nightmare. cable wiring methods are just that, they are installed and if you need to make a change later well you just have to run new cable.

I know the NEC doesn't cover all methods that can make a raceway no longer accessible after it is covered up, but I have always said it should.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is there a section that permits use of short radius elbows without removable covers? I have only (and rarely) used them for confined areas with short nipples, but have always assumed they are not NEC compliant.

Maybe they have a listing and are permitted if their instructions are followed?
Crouse says theirs are listed and are covered by guide "EBNV". I don't see anything in the white book restricting their use. The Crouse website says:
EL Explosionproof 45? and 90? Elbows are installed in conduit run or in box or fitting hub:
  • To change direction in threaded rigid conduit run by 90?, or when terminating at a box or fitting
I have never seen them used except at or very close to a box or other fitting with a removable cover, but the manufacturer implies that they can be installed mid run....I wonder how you get a fish tape around one installed in mid run?
I often have wondered why 314.28 applies to conduit bodies but not to flexible raceway fittings. We bend the conductors even tighter when we install conductors in the conduit fittings than we do in conduit bodies. Maybe the code assumes that a flexible conduit fitting is always used at the end of the run and very little conductor will be pulled through them.

renosteinke

Junction boxes and pull points need to remain accessible.

A 90 fitting on MC is not a 'pull point,' as the cable already has the wires in it. Thus, you would be allowed to use such a method to enter the back of a an old-work box. You wold not be allowed to do that using flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.