New install cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Did an u/g install today for a sign light . Work consisted of (1) hand dig 23' of trench, 18' grassy soil, 5' decorative stone 8" deep. Top soil was ok down 8" or so, then hard clay.(2) run u/g in 1/2"RMC, up with PVC to a 1 gang W/P outlet box on each end, pull (3) #12 thhn. (3) dissassemble 12' existing lite pole,(remove head and fish wires down to base) drill and tap 1/2"npt for conduit connection.(4) furnish and install (1) 65 watt compact florescent flood fixture. Distance up from ground on each end was approx 18". Refill trench, replace sod and tamp. I would be interested to see what type of pricing others would do this job for. I'm located in MI. Seems as though our prices around here are all over the map, some labor as low as $25/hr some at $85/hr. The sad part is that
some of the ones who are at the low end actually are licensed and do decent work. Thanks to anyone willing to reply. BTW, my price for the job was $625.00, that included a permit and inspection

Strife

Did an u/g install today for a sign light . Work consisted of (1) hand dig 23' of trench, 18' grassy soil, 5' decorative stone 8" deep. Top soil was ok down 8" or so, then hard clay.(2) run u/g in 1/2"RMC, up with PVC to a 1 gang W/P outlet box on each end, pull (3) #12 thhn. (3) dissassemble 12' existing lite pole,(remove head and fish wires down to base) drill and tap 1/2"npt for conduit connection.(4) furnish and install (1) 65 watt compact florescent flood fixture. Distance up from ground on each end was approx 18". Refill trench, replace sod and tamp. I would be interested to see what type of pricing others would do this job for. I'm located in MI. Seems as though our prices around here are all over the map, some labor as low as $25/hr some at $85/hr. The sad part is that
some of the ones who are at the low end actually are licensed and do decent work. Thanks to anyone willing to reply. BTW, my price for the job was $625.00, that included a permit and inspection
$ 625.00 sounds about right, WITHOUT permit.
In our area pulling a permit is less fun than having a heart attack. I used to go $300-$350 for something like that, but recently I'm starting to charge 400-500.
Do the drawings, make copies of all paperwork(my WC expires in Feb, my liability in May, the license in August and the occupational license in September, so I always have to update my info), hunt the owner to sign and notarize the permit(and heaven forbid is over 2500, now you need a notice of commencement). Drop the permit (and hope you didn't miss any paperwork. We have 50 cities around here and everyone has different rules). Pick up the permit(which is MINIMUM 100 dollars here). Wait 2 hrs for the inspector(I'm not blaming the inspectors here, actually 2 hrs it's a nice window, but it's still 2hrs). And then hope you'll get paid.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I would charge $5000. I probably wouldn't get it, but that's how much I hate to dig.:happyyes:

Agree! I've always told anyone that I was working for: "you really can't afford for me to dig that ditch"

hurk27

Why the RMC? if your using PVC to exit the ground? why not just do the whole run in PVC,and how would you bond the RMC in the middle of PVC? sounds backwards, we have used RMC when we exited the ground , or sech 80 PVC but underground we just run sech 40 PVC.

nizak

Unable to get the 18" minimum cover requirement for PVC due to very hard clay conditions under the top soil.Only needed 6" with RMC.Female PVC terminal adapter threaded onto RMC and continue up with PVC.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Agree! I've always told anyone that I was working for: "you really can't afford for me to dig that ditch"

I asked a guy one time who was digging the ditch, him or me? He said "I figured you were, why?"
"I charge $60 an hour whether I'm doing electrical work or digging ditches" "and?" "oh, and I don't dig very fast.":happyyes:

satcom

Some of the contractors charge T&M for the dig when the soil and ground conditions are not known, then they give a contract price on the known work, this method seems to provide some down side protection, the guy that has a $25 rate may be licensed, but he must have match book insurance, or none at all and, he may not be paying any or all the taxes he should be paying, or he may be a part time contractor, with a full time job, who he has no idea of what it costs to operate for a profit, not side money.

Status
Not open for further replies.