"I Don't Know" ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Is, I am convinced both the most difficult phrase for the lips to speak, or for the ears to hear. Well, I don't know .... and maybe someone can educate me ....

I arrive on site at the Big Industry Place this morning, and find the control panel for the gazillion-horsepower production line open. There, on the floor is one of those shoebox sized circuit breakers (Cutler-Hammer HMCP type, only 30 amp, 480 volt, 3-pole). The case has been opened, and various internal parts are scattered about the floor.

Now, I have to ask ... is there ANY reason to open up a molded case circuit breaker? Are there any parts to be replaced / cleaned / adjusted?

zog

Generally no, and likely they have voided the UL listing. There are some "field installable accesories" for some MCCB's but those cases are rare.

hurk27

I would say that I very doubt that anyone at that plant would be qualified to do such a repair or adjustment
I have seen others take apart breakers but I think it was more on the line of learning how they operate as in doing so the case in most cases get damaged beyond ever being used again, but then back then I don't ever remember hearing about sending breakers out for repair, at least the small ones riveted together.

kwired

Electron manager
Would be funnier yet if someone would have brought a breaker component to you and asked "can you get one of these? I think that's all it needs":lol:

renosteinke

kwired .... there is a very good chance I will see such a request ....

I had checked the C-H, NEMA, and a few other sites for some information, but came up with precious little that referred to opening breaker cases. The breakers that had cleaning the contacts as part of regular maintenance all appeared to be of the killovolt, big amp type. "Buckets," in other words.

I am looking forward to telling these guys that they get to spend $1665 for a new one ..... and I suspect that I'll be having a little chat with the night shift maintenance supervisor.

kwired

Electron manager

I had checked the C-H, NEMA, and a few other sites for some information, but came up with precious little that referred to opening breaker cases. The breakers that had cleaning the contacts as part of regular maintenance all appeared to be of the killovolt, big amp type. "Buckets," in other words.

I am looking forward to telling these guys that they get to spend $1665 for a new one ..... and I suspect that I'll be having a little chat with the night shift maintenance supervisor.

They were hoping to find a $25 or less component that failed and just replace that, may even get an extra holiday bonus for saving $$$:thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
Kind of reminds me of when my wife worked for a computer repair place. They had one customer who had a "mentally challenged" grandson. When there was a problem with his computer (most likely software problem) he would start tearing everything apart - then couldn't put it together.

This happened quite often according to her.

zog

Generally MCCB's fall under UL 489 which more or less says you can't open the case, they are not designed with maintenance or repairs in mind. ANSI equipment on the other hand is not only designed to be maintained they need to be maintained. I can send you a paper explains the differences, too large to attach (PM me).

Waaaay too much, call these guys, they should have in stock new surplus for a fraction of that price (Ask for Brian). www.astrocontrols.com

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Maybe someone told someone to make sure that they open the circuit breaker before working on the equipment.

:lol:

:D Love It !
You just opened the door for a whole new series of NEC changes wherever the word "open" is used.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
They were just looking for the fuses. ;)

sometimes, the truth is stranger than fiction :D

GE's, TB-1 was identified as an internally fused Circuit Breaker. These breakers have internal
Current Limmiting Fuses

Replacement Breakers
Tri-Break?
Internally Fused

G-E "Buy-Log" Pg 3-37

sii

IDK about the rest of you but I thought $1665.00 was a good price!!

I just got quoted $7882 for three 250 amp frames, trip units and one set of bus connectors for a GE Spectra 1600 amp gear. I'm waiting for the right moment to forward it to my b oss.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I was once told by a rep that we could repair a breaker like that. It did have a screw on front plate and was a tri-pac. Now maybe we could have, but we opened it up and pieces just started falling out. That breaker had suffered a major failure.

Now I don't remember the brand, but I do remember that it was a rep that told us that.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We always buy whole panels if possible to get the large frame breakers out of them, it's usually cheaper. I'll take apart a circuit breaker every once in a while just to see what grenaded them and satisfy my own curiousity.

I need to remember Zog's link though, because we always get hosed on breakers too! It's one reason we don't use Sq D. Too expensive to add breakers after the fact.

zog

I was once told by a rep that we could repair a breaker like that. It did have a screw on front plate and was a tri-pac. Now maybe we could have, but we opened it up and pieces just started falling out. That breaker had suffered a major failure.

Now I don't remember the brand, but I do remember that it was a rep that told us that.

The the rep explain why he does not sell parts for it? Because they are not designed to be field repairable.

Status
Not open for further replies.