Bushings on wire #4 and larger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex

Anyone else run into emt connectors that have locknuts that dont allow for bushings to be threaded on? Im curious what you all would do to address the issue if anything.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Get some stamped steel locknuts instead of the typical die cast zinc ones that come with the fittings. The steel are usually thinner.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had this problem with steel connectors and steel locknuts right out of the box. The fitting is poorly designed where the threads are not long enough. Also with the aforementioned connectors, if you take off the locknut and try to thread it onto a piece of RMC it won't go on. Seems that the EMT connector locknuts are slightly smaller than standard locknuts for that particular trade size. :rant:

Smart had the solution.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
My personal favorite is pvc box and fitting manufacturers that don't leave enough thread for plastic bushings.:roll: It's such a stupid problem to have....

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've had the problem on equipment with thicker walls. Not sure how kosher it is but I have terminated my EMT into a threaded coupling then used a nipple of appropriate length to allow locknuts and bushings to be installed inside the enclosure (with the coupling butted again the outer wall.)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yes.

300.4(G) Insulated Fittings. Where raceways contain 4 AWG
or larger insulated circuit conductors, and these conductors
enter a cabinet, a box, an enclosure, or a raceway, the con-
ductors shall be protected by an identified fitting providing a
smoothly rounded insulating surface, unless the conductors
are separated from the fitting or raceway by identified insu-
lating material that is securely fastened in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.