UL 300.22, UL 300.11 tie off to ceiling grid below??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The section originally said ".....and shall be attached at both ends." It now says ".....and may be attached at both ends."

I personally don't worry to much about low voltage cable, but I do as that it be secured at both ends for the electrical. Remember the difference between secured and supported. I don't consider it secured if it can whip around.

thank you

thank you

Thank you. I have never really gotten a good answer on it. And, the installation instructions on the products never really say. The reason I asked is I saw a product recently that did have installation instructions and specifically said that for low voltage cable you did not have to tie off at both ends. This surprised me a little, since I have had inspectors tell me "that you do have to tie off to the ceiling grid", and some have said "you do not".
again, thanks

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Thank you. I have never really gotten a good answer on it. And, the installation instructions on the products never really say. The reason I asked is I saw a product recently that did have installation instructions and specifically said that for low voltage cable you did not have to tie off at both ends. This surprised me a little, since I have had inspectors tell me "that you do have to tie off to the ceiling grid", and some have said "you do not".
again, thanks

You're welcome. Remember the real reason that you are support the low voltage is that you don't want it laying on the grid. So like I said I don't worry to much about low voltage as long as it's up.

product curiosity

product curiosity

Just out of curiosity, have you inspected anything using the product "Com dangles"? that is the product that talks about not having to tie off to the ceiling grid below. it says UL listed and plenum rated. They have a web site. I have mostly seen and used data J's tied to ceiling wire, and wondered if you thought that this is worth a try. It is much less expensive and seems to be made for ceiling wire, but I don't want to get dinged by an inspector.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Thanks Bob.

I see them all the time and like I said, they would work fine for me. LA City didn't want the wires attached to the grid, low voltage or not, so I guess I should have also noted that you should check with the local AHJ and see what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.