Crude Oil Unloading station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Hall

Just did a railcar crude oil unloading station design. The rails for the train, and every third steel member of the unloading rack were grounded and a ground loop was provided around the platform area and rails with 10' Cu Clad rods driven at 20-feet increments around this loop. The suction pipe for the unload operation that pumps crude to tankage sits on the platform that is grounded. The owner added a ground testing unit with alligator clip for operator to clamp onto train from rack structure to test ground prior to unloading operation.

The unloading arms feeding into suction pipe appear to go through a series of insulated fittings, flexible connections, etc. on its way back to suction pipe. I recommended each loading arm be bonded to rack structure to provide intentional, direct ground connection at most critical instrument of operation. Mindset being operators could potentially see a good ground indicator on unit, because the train and rack will be at equipotential. However loading arm could be picked up by operator shuffled over to train, possibly creating charge, and at point where connection to train is made, create potential arc.

The owner believes this is not required. But because the connection from each loading arm to suction pipe appears to be not electrically continuous, i made this recommendation. Is this appropriate? Their arguement was that on a truck unload, this ground unit and clip connection is adequate. I would argue that on a truck unload, if the loading arm connection is assembled in the same manner, I would provide this additional bond as well. The only difference in system being truck sits on 4 tires and once clip is attached, truck and train would be equipotential, and the additional grounding made at rails of train etc. would be only difference in system configuration. Thoughts?

sgunsel

I'd recommend looking at NFPA 77, Recommended Practice on Static Electricity, chapter 8. All conductive components of the unloading system, including the tank car, need to be bonded to control static electricity. Articulated joints, filters, and various fittings can result in isolated conducting components. Periodic verification of bonding/grounding effectiveness with a megohm meter should be also be performed.

sgunsel

Crude oil is a complex blend of materials with a varying properties. Crude differs from every source. Any liquid pushed through a pipe will generate static electricity, the difference is how fast the charge decays. What you do in the pipe/hose also has a big impact on charge generation. Microfilters are notorious for high charging rates. Loading/unloding rates are typically limited to manage electrostatic charging. This can be a complex situation where simple answers simply do not exist.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I agree with sgunsel; crude oils can run anywhere from almost gasoline to almost asphalt out of the ground. The imortant concept he addresses is any liguid can develop a static charge - even liquids that are themselves conductive. It doesn't take too much "copper" to overcome a static charge and bonding everything is simply prudent.

Pete Hall

Thanks for the information. Thing to note with crude, is the flammability of the vapor. Most of the space is classified based on API. Although we designed for one type of crude offload (Bakken); who knows what they'll be rolling in, and offloading in the future, different types of crude, maybe a batched product of some sort? My recommendation couldn't hurt but I saw it as an ounce of prevention that could avoid potential hazard to personnel or property.

Status
Not open for further replies.