Ancient editions of NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana1028

I would love to get my hands on some old editions of the NEC. I am talking about some of the early editions.

I think it would be cool artifacts to display in the office.

Go to eBay....they have sales of older NECs all the time... I picked up every edition back to 1925 that way...decided I didn't want to spend the money for ones older than that.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I think it would be cool artifacts to display in the office.
The visual appeal of the early editions is, at most, subdued. They are grocery bag brown, and small, and thin.

Personally, I keep my really old ones where they're not going to be handled. They are not printed on good paper so they don't age well in the best of conditions (save being in a near acid free envelope).

I really like the way the 2011 back to 1959 Codes look. Lotsa color, size changes, etc. And if one mixes in Handbooks with them, one can really fill a long book shelf.

480sparky

2010Septembersmall.jpg

I have a collection of Handbooks, too:

Handbookssmall.jpg

DSC_8459.jpg

Click here
to see these, plus my collection of municipal & foreign electrical codes.

kbsparky

Even the reprints are hard to come by.

Got THAT right! I found an extra one in my desk drawer a few years ago, and was about to throw it out. But on a whim, I listed it on eBay, thinking I might get five bucks for it. That thing sold for $170! :jawdrop:

The fact that it was a reprint was clearly disclosed in my listing, too. Didn't seem to matter, the way the bidding frenzy was ... :eek:

bphgravity

52.jpg

This is an old picture, but it shows the 1897, 1899, 1901, 1909, 1937, 1940, 1947, 1951, 1953, 1956, 1959-2011 NEC Books. I have picked up a few more editions since then & replaced all the loose-leaf to soft-cover editions only...

480sparky

Got THAT right! I found an extra one in my desk drawer a few years ago, and was about to throw it out. But on a whim, I listed it on eBay, thinking I might get five bucks for it. That thing sold for $170! :jawdrop:

The fact that it was a reprint was clearly disclosed in my listing, too. Didn't seem to matter, the way the bidding frenzy was ... :eek:

I had an extra reprint as well I listed on ebay. Started bidding at $10.... sold for 135.

The word "Reprint" was in the listing eight times, along with the phrase "This is a reprint... it is NOT an original!!!! This copy was printed in 1984." The buyer still wanted a refund when he didn't get an original. I had to go through the entire PayPal claims process, with yours truly being victorious in the end.

480sparky

This is an old picture, but it shows the 1897, 1899, 1901, 1909, 1937, 1940, 1947, 1951, 1953, 1956, 1959-2011 NEC Books. I have picked up a few more editions since then & replaced all the loose-leaf to soft-cover editions only...
My photos are also out-of-date. I've added the '11, as well as 3 or 3 handbooks to the collection.

My photos are also out-of-date as well. I've added the '11, as well as 3 or 3 handbooks to the collection.

I think everyone who collects them will get a 1947 fairly early on. Statistically, they're the most common out-of-print NEC sold on ebay. Reason being, there's so danged many of 'em.

Why? It was 1947...... the first edition printed after WWII. Anyone who was an electrician going into the war years probably had their 1940. With paper rationing, printing entire Codebooks was a tricky & expensive proposition (not to mention 'unpatriotic'). So NFPA started making Supplements..... kind of like todays Code Changes. They simply listed the changes to the 1940 edition. Supplements were printed in 1942, 1943 and 1945. So full copies of the NEC for those years are mighty scarce. Most likely, any apprentices who started working the craft during those years picked up the Supplements from someone who retired or who was off fighting the war as opposed to just getting a current, full printing.

When the war ended, sales of the 1947 were through the roof as all the electricians dumped their '40s, '42, '43 & '45 supplements and bought a spankin'-new 1947 so they didn't have to carry around 4 separate books.

To date, I have only seen one 1942 NEC sold, and have yet to see a full 1943 and 1945 anywhere.

I will still buy a copy of one I currently have if it's better condition than the copy I have on my desk. I then list my existing copy on ebay. This way, I'm slowly upgrading what I have as well as acquiring copies I don't have.

bphgravity

That's a great explanation...

I have found that nearly every Pre-WWII edition that shows up on Ebay or one of the other online auctions are really hard to win unless you are willing to spend a ton of money. The true gems are Pre-WWI and of course the 1897 original. I too have not been able to get or see too many WWII era editions.

Even more rare are early editions of the NFPA 78 (Original numerical designation of the current NFPA 780). Try finding an early original copy of that standard...

480sparky

There's two reasons they're so rare. First off, there were far few electricians back then. Plus, when a new Code was published, the vast majority of electricians simply threw their old issues away.

I know even NFPA is missing 4 original editions, including the 1897.

Status
Not open for further replies.