ipads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I use my laptop with my phone as a hotspot. I paid 30 bucks for a one time app. Are you saying that I am breaking the rules with Verizon as I do not pay V for this type of service. I am on an unlimited data plan.

MJW

I use my laptop with my phone as a hotspot. I paid 30 bucks for a one time app. Are you saying that I am breaking the rules with Verizon as I do not pay V for this type of service. I am on an unlimited data plan.

I think some of the older phones are grandfathered in. I have a friend with and older droid that can tether it to his computer but I can't with my thunderbolt without paying the monthly fee. I don't know for sure but I would guess if you upgrade your phone they will want to start charging you a monthly fee.

mivey

I have both and my experience suggests otherwise. On both counts.
My experience is in line with yours. I have three laptops, an Ipad-2 and a Samsung Galaxy 10.1. The laptops are much faster, hands down. The screens on the tablets are also smaller, even accounting for usable space. I don't usually clutter up my laptop screen but even if you do, you can switch to full-screen mode for pictures and video.

For formal presentations, I use the laptop and projector. It is a faster machine, more versatile, and a lot more powerful.

The tablet does have some advantages, and is why I have them. They are very compact and are streamlined for certain tasks. They are easy to pass around and the touch screen is much easier for some tasks than a mouse (but it can also be a hindrance for other tasks).

If you want to make a quick presentation to a customer on a countertop, couch, small table, or similar informal setting, I think the tablet is pretty handy. It is quick to start up and quick to scan through pictures and video. It is also good for those who like the Palm-type convenience for scheduling, notes, etc. Also handy for quick picture and video snaps.

That said, it is no substitute for the power, speed, and flexibility of a laptop. They are simply designed for different tasks. If you have no need for a portable computer, get the tablet as it is a handy tool. If you need a portable computer, the tablet ain't it. If you can afford both, I would recommend getting a tablet.

FWIW, I like the Galaxy 10.1 better than the Ipad-2. I bought the Ipad-2 first, but I hate the limitations. If I had it to do over, I would buy the Galaxy, but it was not an option at the time. I don't think the droid tablets were much competition for the Ipad at first. If I bought another tablet, it would be a droid.

satcom

I am with Mac, ipads are okay and quite handy-but are not a replacement for a PC IMO.

I Picked up a Nook for quick quote information and fast code handbook look up and when i added the word excell and invoice to go, the little device became a real power house just add the extra gig and use the cloud and have a reader and much more, for the $198 the deal of the year.

jumper

I Picked up a Nook for quick quote information and fast code handbook look up and when i added the word excell and invoice to go, the little device became a real power house just add the extra gig and use the cloud and have a reader and much more, for the $198 the deal of the year.

I do not know what a Nook is, but my wife has an ipad and for the life of me I cannot get a NEC pdf to work correctly.

I got the thing to finally show it, but the search function and chapter menu do not work. PITA.

satcom

I do not know what a Nook is, but my wife has an ipad and for the life of me I cannot get a NEC pdf to work correctly.

I got the thing to finally show it, but the search function and chapter menu do not work. PITA.

Yes all my Mac Iphone and Ipad will not work with it but I can male it work on the Nook nd any droid, It seems if apple can't make a buck on it it will not run on there machines.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Use Goodreader. It works.

32fa406b.jpg

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Evidently iPads and PDF files do not get along well. This was one reason I went the route of Kindle.

PetrosA

I got an Asus Transformer since I needed compatibility with Android OS, and I have to say that I love it. It is much faster than the Asus netbook I have. There are plenty of third-party apps available, it's instantly on and getting my emails (via Wi-fi) and has a much better image than the netbook. Browsing speed is comparable to my desktop with a good connection and pdf files open fine except for the Tech lighting catalog, but that will bog down anything that's not rated for gaming ;) It's also very handy for taking and showing photos from various jobs to customers so they get a clearer idea of what I mean or keeping plans on so I can reduce my paper load.

Catalogs display fine on it and it's nice to be able to pull up a sconce, hold the tablet against the wall and let the customer get an idea what it will look like installed. The battery life is very good (8-10 hours IIRC) and with the sleep mode I don't usually have to worry about charging it more than once or twice a week. It's also very nice now that Skype runs on it with camera capability and I can call home during the day to say hello to my 3 year old daughter face-to-face.

jdsmith

Evidently iPads and PDF files do not get along well. This was one reason I went the route of Kindle.

Wow, I haven't had any problems with PDFs on my iPad - reading papers and accessing standards is one of my main uses for the device. I use dropbox to sync hundreds of PDFs of standards (IEEE, API, the NEC, etc.) and conference papers onto my iPad. The dropbox integral viewer isn't great, but dropbox can send the files into goodreader for viewing, and goodreader works great.

I have a late 2010 era kindle (the one with the keyboard, before the current touch model) and PDFs that are just text display fine, but the 2 column formatting that IEEE papers use and any amount of graphics makes the kindle horrible for reading PDFs if you try to convert them. The kindle will display PDFs in native full page view just fine, but the screen is so small you have to zoom in and then the panning around becomes complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.