Renewing fiberglass ladders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

I have several fiberglass ladders that are starting to flake off some fibers. These ladders have been in service for several years, mostly riding on top of the work van exposed to the weather. This has taken its toll on the finish of the ladders, with the sun, wind, rain, etc all contributing to the wearing down of the outer finish of the fiberglass exposing shards of glass fibers. If you rub your arm the wrong way, you can feel `em stabbing you .... :happysad:

SO, I was thinking of maybe painting something like Spar varnish (boat varnish?) or some sort of epoxy clear coat to protect the surface, and minimize the fiberglass from wearing further.

Have any of you had to perform this kind of maintenance on your ladders, or do you just chuck `em and buy new?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have several fiberglass ladders that are starting to flake off some fibers. These ladders have been in service for several years, mostly riding on top of the work van exposed to the weather. This has taken its toll on the finish of the ladders, with the sun, wind, rain, etc all contributing to the wearing down of the outer finish of the fiberglass exposing shards of glass fibers. If you rub your arm the wrong way, you can feel `em stabbing you .... :happysad:

SO, I was thinking of maybe painting something like Spar varnish (boat varnish?) or some sort of epoxy clear coat to protect the surface, and minimize the fiberglass from wearing further.

Have any of you had to perform this kind of maintenance on your ladders, or do you just chuck `em and buy new?
I never have nor do I know anyone that has.

If you decide to renew, here's a couple web pages which may help:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8029990_sunlights-effects-fiberglass-ladders.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5794273_fix-side-rails-fiberglass-ladders.html

kwired

Electron manager
The question becomes have they weakened and if your repair methods are acceptable at restoring the strength?

If you have employees and consider OSHA it may well be best to just replace them.

You can always sell them to handyman Joe.

I brought a stepladder to the local waste transfer station that had worn the corner of one of the legs from how it was riding in the truck enough that it eventually wore through and split the corner most of the length of the leg. It was only a 5 foot ladder, but if you were on an uneven surface it threatened to give out on you so it was time to get rid of it.

The operator seen this ladder - it was a nice looking ladder other than the one leg - and had to pull it out from the rest of the trash. It is still there at the facility and it was at least two years ago that I tried to get rid of it. I guess it is their problem if somebody gets hurt when using it.

If it is only surface damage then it is UV degradation of the resin that is used to bind the glass fibers and besides of the discomfort no structural integrity is compromoised. You idea about looking at boat varnish is knocking on the right door, a marine supply store should be able to supply you with resin to restore the surface. Make sure that it DOES contain UV retardant of some sort. (You would hate to keep re-aplying suntan loation onto your ladder :lol:, which is what UV retardants basically are...)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
We have a company that comes in and cleans, repairs and recertifies our fiberglass ladders( we have over 30). OSHA doesn't specifically address fiberglass ladders, and there are some companies that will repair them at half the cost.
http://www.laddermatters.com/?page=faq
http://ladderrepair.com/
http://www.ladderrepairs.com/

One thing you have to ask yourself, Am I repairing this for me to climb, or an employee? Am I willing to accept the responsibility for someone getting hurt on a ladder repaired with spar varnish?

Look here at page 5&6 for methods recommended by a manufacturer.:http://us.wernerco.com/docs/userguides/gm6070-fg-techmanual.pdf?Status=Master

rt66electric

easy fix???

easy fix???

The question becomes have they weakened and if your repair methods are acceptable at restoring the strength?

If you have employees and consider OSHA it may well be best to just replace them.

I brought a stepladder to the local waste transfer station that had worn the corner of one of the legs from how it was riding in the truck enough that it eventually wore through and split the corner most of the length of the leg. It was only a 5 foot ladder, but if you were on an uneven surface it threatened to give out on you so it was time to get rid of it.

The operator seen this ladder - it was a nice looking ladder other than the one leg - and had to pull it out from the rest of the trash. It is still there at the facility and it was at least two years ago that I tried to get rid of it. I guess it is their problem if somebody gets hurt when using it.

My favorite fix .....

Cut a 2x4 to fit inside the rail and wrap w/ duct tape......

WIMaster

Due to this type of situation and all of the ridiculous Liability lawsuits nowadays our policy is to completely destroy the ladder before it goes in the dumpster.

IMHO although I may be tempted to use some of the repair techniques mentioned here for use at home only I would never use them on the job for liability and customer perception reasons.

Due to this type of situation and all of the ridiculous Liability lawsuits nowadays our policy is to completely destroy the ladder before it goes in the dumpster.

IMHO although I may be tempted to use some of the repair techniques mentioned here for use at home only I would never use them on the job for liability and customer perception reasons.

The OP seemed to be clear about that the damage was NOT structural but was limited to surface wailing of the fiberglass matting. This is common phenomena of any fiberglass components exposed to sunlight(UV radiation), including boxes and can be successfully repaired with resins containing UV retardant material. I don't believe anyone suggested structural repair to be done.

On the other hand it seems to me silly that you are more concerned about liability than your own life.

kwired

Electron manager

This was not a dumpster this was the waste transfer station operated by municipality. The operator at the station pulled the ladder from the rest of what was being disposed of. Why should I be liable for anything that happens as a result of use of this ladder, as far as I'm concerned I disposed of that ladder. Do I now need to purchase a shredder for everything I dispose of to make sure nothing is usable for liability purposes?

hurk27

Haven't done it in a while, but I have used a clear gel coat with UV protectent for boats, it's a pain to do and some prep has to be done to make it bond, but was told it will last a long time, I have two on my van rack that I done this with and they are still like new, also certain manufactures have kits that you can get to resurface the fiberglass which is about the same.

kbsparky

The OP seemed to be clear about that the damage was NOT structural but was limited to surface wailing of the fiberglass matting. This is common phenomena of any fiberglass components exposed to sunlight(UV radiation), including boxes and can be successfully repaired with resins containing UV retardant material. I don't believe anyone suggested structural repair to be done....

You are correct. The ladders in question are structurally sound. The only thing that is wrong with them is the surface is starting to show glass fibers, and they can be irritating when using the ladders. This is due to them being stored on the roof rack of the work van between uses, subjected to the weather conditions one would find riding on top of a traveling vehicle.

I want to be able to restore that surface finish without having to chuck them into a dumpster and buy new ones.

Thanks to all those who stayed on topic and answered the specific issues I mentioned.

WIMaster

The OP seemed to be clear about that the damage was NOT structural but was limited to surface wailing of the fiberglass matting. This is common phenomena of any fiberglass components exposed to sunlight(UV radiation), including boxes and can be successfully repaired with resins containing UV retardant material. I don't believe anyone suggested structural repair to be done.

On the other hand it seems to me silly that you are more concerned about liability than your own life.

post#3 mentions the ladder with a bad leg that was thrown out.

post#6 mentions adding a 2x4 with duct tape

post#7 adding a steel stud.

As for the liability is there something wrong with being more concerned with the welfare of others than most people?? If I want to take a calculated risk that I THINK I know the limitations of it is my choice and I do not need your permission, I feel it is very wrong to PUSH that choice on someone else! I have seen it done and will never agree with it!

Edit: posts 6&7 are structural modification IMO. I was taught that the only thing that should ever be applied to a ladder is a CLEAR coat protectant that will allow visual inspection of the entire ladder for physical and structural damage.

Last edited:
post#3 mentions the ladder with a bad leg that was thrown out.

post#6 mentions adding a 2x4 with duct tape

post#7 adding a steel stud.

As for the liability is there something wrong with being more concerned with the welfare of others than most people?? If I want to take a risk that I THINK I know the limitations of it is my choice and I do not need your permission, I feel it is very wrong to PUSH that choice on someone else! I have seen it done and will never agree with it!

The reply is somewhat of a non-sequitur.

All of us are constantly 'forced' to do things that are contrary to our judgement.

iwire

Staff member
Do I now need to purchase a shredder for everything I dispose of to make sure nothing is usable for liability purposes?

I hate when people exaggerate posts into things they are not.

I have worked for two ECs in the past 15 years, both had / have a no ladder repair policy, both sawzall ladders in half before they hit the dumpster. They are after all clearly labeled with the company name and bar codes for tool watch. Now maybe they would never be a target of a lawsuit if someone got hurt on these after they were pulled from a dumpster but why take that chance?

I also don't think we want a trunk slammer dragging a ladder around with the company names on them.

kwired

Electron manager
I hate when people exaggerate posts into things they are not.

I have worked for two ECs in the past 15 years, both had / have a no ladder repair policy, both sawzall ladders in half before they hit the dumpster. They are after all clearly labeled with the company name and bar codes for tool watch. Now maybe they would never be a target of a lawsuit if someone got hurt on these after they were pulled from a dumpster but why take that chance?

I also don't think we want a trunk slammer dragging a ladder around with the company names on them.

I'm not exaggerating. I know people that will take your ladder you cut in half and splint it with pieces of wood or metal and use it. If you are going to destroy it to prevent others from using it you better destroy it not just injure it. Your nice fiberglass ladder even though damaged is a good ladder compared to any ladders they have.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Re: Frivolous lawsuits brought by people rebuilding broken ladders and other things found in the trash:
I sometimes wish our legal system would adopt the tenet espoused by Ron White,
61FGXJ8V75L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This was not a dumpster this was the waste transfer station operated by municipality. The operator at the station pulled the ladder from the rest of what was being disposed of. Why should I be liable for anything that happens as a result of use of this ladder, as far as I'm concerned I disposed of that ladder. Do I now need to purchase a shredder for everything I dispose of to make sure nothing is usable for liability purposes?

You might want to give that a re-think if your company name is plastered on the side of the ladder. I'm moderately sure that eventually you'd get from under the lawsuit if one of the waste transfer personnel were injured from the almost certain eventual failure of the ladder, but all-in-all, I'd rather be making money than making a lawyer rich.

kwired

Electron manager
You might want to give that a re-think if your company name is plastered on the side of the ladder. I'm moderately sure that eventually you'd get from under the lawsuit if one of the waste transfer personnel were injured from the almost certain eventual failure of the ladder, but all-in-all, I'd rather be making money than making a lawyer rich.

That did cross my mind. Maybe I could replace my name with someone else's name before disposing the ladder, like handyman Joe.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.