Pass & Seymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnbob

Has anyone had difficulty with the 15 amp residential tamper resistant receptacles? I have had several that I have a hard time plugging anything into. I am looking to buy about 4500 for a project, and am concerned that I may have a large amount of defectives.

Jljohnson

I had some issues 2-3 years ago with one lot that I purchased, could not get anything to plug into them without alot of wiggling the cord end up/down and back/forth until it would finally go into the receptacle. By the time you got it plugged in, the face of the recept was full of scratches and looked horrible. Have not had any issues since and I use P&S exclusively.

dnbob

Did P & S stand behind them? They told me they would cover the labor as well to replace them. I had bought 5 at a local hardware store, and all of them were bad. An electric supply that sells them had between 50 & 200 that were bad, which was in the last few months.

Jljohnson

Did P & S stand behind them? They told me they would cover the labor as well to replace them. I had bought 5 at a local hardware store, and all of them were bad. An electric supply that sells them had between 50 & 200 that were bad, which was in the last few months.

Yes, P & S stood behind them and replaced the units. I did not charge them labor as we caught it fairly quickly and they have always been good to us. We only had to re-trim one small basement finish. They came in and replaced my entire stock in my warehouse with receptacles from the newer lot and I have not had any further issues. Remember, this was 2-3 years ago for me. Maybe the ones from the hardware store have been sitting around for quite awhile?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
1st house I trimmed with TR used P&S, very difficult to plug into but I thought they were supposed to be like that, and that's what I told the customer. The next trimout I was surprised how easy they were to plug in to (still P&S) but thought I was just getting used to them.

kwired

Electron manager
Has anyone had difficulty with the 15 amp residential tamper resistant receptacles? I have had several that I have a hard time plugging anything into. I am looking to buy about 4500 for a project, and am concerned that I may have a large amount of defectives.

Having a hard time plugging anything into them? Isn't that what the "TR" is for:lol:

GUNNING

Safe at last.

Safe at last.

I tell my customers they have to learn how to plug cords into receptacles again. It used to be up and down, now it is back and forth to push the covers in the receptacles that prevents anyone from plugging anything into it.
Lets drop back to "prevents anything from being pushed into the receptacle." I guess we are too dumb to be trusted to plug in a lamp. Thank you consumer protection agency. I feel safer now.:slaphead:

Never had an any problems with P&S. Leviton had a few faces of the receptacles fall off the front of them in the box though.

Remember back and forth not up and down. Need to make new muscle memories.

kwired

Electron manager
Never had an any problems with P&S. Leviton had a few faces of the receptacles fall off the front of them in the box though.

For a while they had a similar problem with the cheap grade single pole switches also. Open the box and at least half of them had the face partially pulled away from the rest of the body. Get called back 4-6 months later to replace a few more that did not last after being installed.

I quit using them, not worth the troubles.

svh19044

I haven't had problems with any of the 15a receptacles of any manufacturer so far (other than they just suck to begin with), but the P&S 15amp GFCI's are a different story. I have had a handful that absolutely refuse to allow anything to plug in to.

I have had issues with P&S as well as Cooper. Maybe the end result of tamper resistant receptacles will be that homeowners will run extension cords all over the house from the kitchen since TR isn't required there.

kwired

Electron manager
I have had issues with P&S as well as Cooper. Maybe the end result of tamper resistant receptacles will be that homeowners will run extension cords all over the house from the kitchen since TR isn't required there.

Kitchens are required to be TR also. They are in areas specified in 210.52.

Status
Not open for further replies.