20 AMP RECEPTACLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertex

Does a 20 amp receptacle grip a plug better than a 15 amp receptacle? If so, is there any documentation to prove it?

kwired

Electron manager
There is more to it than just 15 and 20 amp.

Most 20 amp receptacles you will find are at least "specification grade" and likely will have more "holding power" on a plug than the cheap grade 15 amp receptacles that sell for less than a buck.

You are also likely to find premium grades of 15 amp receptacles that will have more "holding power" than the 20 amp in the first example.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have no proof one way or the other however I cannot imagine why it would grip better. I could imagine that pulling a cord downward from the recep. would hold better than a straight pronged 15 amp.

480sparky

With most manufacturers, the innards are the same within the same grade of devices.

The only difference is the faceplate of the receptacle through which the cord is inserted.

Vertex

I should have specified the comparison to be from the same grade (spec.). Thank you for your responses.

On another note, I like the look of a flat face (I'm not talking about decorator style) duplex receptacle compared to the standard style. Can I get an amen?

kwired

Electron manager
What is the flat face if it isn't the decora style?

I think he is referring to some that have a face that is completely flat and just have openings for the plug to be inserted, vs. the ones that have a little depression in the face around each opening that tapers from the face to the openings.

Ragin Cajun

I can't see dropping $75 for the tester.

However, personal experience tells me that a 20A recpt had a better grip than any 15A recpts I have bought.

IMHO

RC

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
I would think that a 15 amp receptacle should hold a 15 amp plug better than a 20 amp receptacle, when both receptacles are from the same manufacture and grade.

hurk27

A friend who owns and operates a small Greek restaurant asked me if I could install some new receptacles in the areas where they use the vacuum cleaner as they were old and loose and plugs would fall out, and so I installed all new 15 amp P&S low end receptacles as I know how hard these girls are on them, they like to just yank the cord out when they think no one is looking, well after putting in the new receptacles they now had a problem of pulling the cord end off, so I found a HD cord cap with a strain relief and now they complain that it's too hard to un-plug the vacuum, but the owner likes it so it stays.

kwired

Electron manager
A friend who owns and operates a small Greek restaurant asked me if I could install some new receptacles in the areas where they use the vacuum cleaner as they were old and loose and plugs would fall out, and so I installed all new 15 amp P&S low end receptacles as I know how hard these girls are on them, they like to just yank the cord out when they think no one is looking, well after putting in the new receptacles they now had a problem of pulling the cord end off, so I found a HD cord cap with a strain relief and now they complain that it's too hard to un-plug the vacuum, but the owner likes it so it stays.

Give them some time they will get looser. I have already replaced a couple in my house within 5 years that were not holding the plug very tight - especially where wife plugs the vacuum in the most They were P&S 3232 series. They were all difficult to insert plugs into when new for the most part.

480sparky

You got a deal. Just searched E-bay and none on up for sale now. Will keep my eyes out for one at that price!

Thanks,

RC

They don't come up for auction much, and when they do they typically sell for close to retail. I spent about 2 years watching before I snagged this one.

FYI: You can save a search term on ebay and receive an email notification whenever that term is in a new listing.

Howard Burger

Hubble Home Select

Hubble Home Select

Hubbel's Home Select brand of receptacles also have small guides for the cord blades but presents a flat face.

FWIW, I used to put a spec grade recept in halls or just inside bedrooms, where the vacuum would probably be plugged in alot, with the theory that the spec grade is made more robust, then used regular grade recepts for the rest of the house. I still like the idea.

Vertex

I think you guys just convinced me to go with flat face receptacles. At least for commercial applications anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.