Number of circuits in a panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

So we can use panelboards with more than 42 circuits now?
I have a project where a 54 circuit panelboard would be perfect.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

There are not too many companies making panelboards that have more than 42 circuits-- at least residential ones. I think Scott mentioned that Sq. D has a 60 cir. panel. Ge, I know, has not made one yet as there has not been a demand for it.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I asked our Siemens supplier a couple years ago about it and he said he had bolt-on panels only, no residential load centers. I haven't needed one since then so I haven't asked lately if they're making larger load centers yet.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Square D has made >42 circuit panels for years, for the Canadian marketplace. i wonder if they simply got a UL listing on one of their existing designs?

That picture looks like a Canadian design, with the cover over the incoming line lugs.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am working on a job right now that I needed a >42-circuit panel. I was hoping to save some money and get a load center, but found that Cutler-Hammer (BR & CH), GE and Siemens do NOT make one (at least that's what my supplier told me). I ended up getting an 84-circuit panel board with a 200A main breaker. I didn't check Square D, so I can't say anything about them.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Wouldn't that depend on the code cycle accepted by your jurisdiction?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
For some reason most resi panels only have 40 circuits, not 42. Not sure why but that is usually the case.
A number divisible by 2 which results in an even number, provides a balanced number or circuits per leg in a single phase panel.

kbsparky

...That picture looks like a Canadian design, with the cover over the incoming line lugs.

Yes, it is. Bought it in Canada. But you'll notice that ALL the US square D enclosures have the slots in them for the flash shield over the mains, even though they omit the inside cover.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
A number divisible by 2 which results in an even number, provides a balanced number or circuits per leg in a single phase panel.

I don't get it. A number divisible by 2 which results in an odd number would still provide for a balanced number of circuits.

Nevermind. With the staggered bus you couldn't really have a odd number of circuits.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I don't get it. A number divisible by 2 which results in an odd number would still provide for a balanced number of circuits.

Nevermind. With the staggered bus you couldn't really have a odd number of circuits.

He maybe could have worded it a little differently.

There is an even number of spaces with either 40 or 42.

There is however two more spaces on one bus than there is on the other.

42 works out well for three phase panels with same number of spaces per phase.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
He maybe could have worded it a little differently.

There is an even number of spaces with either 40 or 42.

There is however two more spaces on one bus than there is on the other.

42 works out well for three phase panels with same number of spaces per phase.

yeah didn't really think it through before replying :ashamed1:

kwired

Electron manager
With a 42 circuit single phase panel does it really matter most of the time if you have the same number of spaces for each leg? We are only talking 2 more spaces on one leg. Unless you wanted to install 21 2 pole breakers - which physically will not work anyway because there is odd number of spaces on each side.

How often is the load perfectly balanced between the two legs? Especially in a dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.