150a service changed to 200a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up grading 150a to 200a service,this in a garage ,two story home with finished walls.I know i have to also up grade to no. 4 to water pipe. Without tearing into walls to get to water pipe,my question is can the no.4 go out to ground rod and continue to crawl space to water pipe.Would this be code compliant,would this cover grounding reguirements on this part of up grade.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sure, no reason you can't do that. Here is a great graphic for you.

ry%3D480

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, are you sure? 250.68(C)-2011 seems to say no to this install. Am I misreading it?
I was assuming the connection was continuous since the op didn't mention cutting it. I also don't think this is an issue with compliance before the 2011. BTW, I have never done it that way.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I also think that section is saying if you use the water pipe as a bonding jumper you must connect the jumpers within 5'. Perhaps I am wrong.

Either way goodnight and Happy New Year.

kwired

Electron manager
I was assuming the connection was continuous since the op didn't mention cutting it. I also don't think this is an issue with compliance before the 2011. BTW, I have never done it that way.

Agreed.

I also think that section is saying if you use the water pipe as a bonding jumper you must connect the jumpers within 5'. Perhaps I am wrong.

Either way goodnight and Happy New Year.

The 5 feet mentioned is the first 5 feet of the water pipe after it enters the building or structure - the part that is considered a part of the electrode.

You could connect your CEE, ground rod, other electrodes to the first 5 feet of water piping instead of to your service equipment if you want to, is all it is saying.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The 5 feet mentioned is the first 5 feet of the water pipe after it enters the building or structure - the part that is considered a part of the electrode.

You could connect your CEE, ground rod, other electrodes to the first 5 feet of water piping instead of to your service equipment if you want to, is all it is saying.
I agree and I thought that was what I was saying. The bonding jumpers from the water pipe must be connected to the first 5 feet of pipe. In the past I believe you could use any part of the piping as a bonding jumper.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree and I thought that was what I was saying. The bonding jumpers from the water pipe must be connected to the first 5 feet of pipe. In the past I believe you could use any part of the piping as a bonding jumper.

You said within 5 feet but did not mention from the entrance to the building, I thought that needed some clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.