Showing "how-to" electrical videos on YouTube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

Does anybody here see the stuff that is put on YouTube? I just found this one and he says the good old "any idiot can do it":lol:

Watch this for some laughs. And what's even more crazy it has 41 likes! Why do people take advice from someone they never even met or know any background on them??

John120/240

Remember the "This Old House" episode where the electrican, Alan Galant does a service change

HOT. Then Kevin O'Connor is on an aluminum ladder observing Alan at work. A nominee for

the Darwin award.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
It's funny because if I'm fixing my XBOX or installing a car stereo or something I'll go to Youtube to see if anybody has done it before and has a video.

I fixed my XBOX by following a video exactly, and I installed a couple of car stereos by following the video exactly.

In both cases, though, the video showed a legitimate broken XBOX or the actual dashboard of the car instead of a fake mockup.

I didn't watch enough to know, was he able to test for voltage or was everything dead?

kwired

Electron manager
Near end he said "any idiot can do it"

Looks like there was at least one:happyyes:

About 10 minutes of my life I can not get back.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I liked the bare ground wire going through the panel mounting hole.

You can find just about anything on YouTube. You really have to know how to sort if using it for info.

There was one guy that made fake tech videos and he was really good. One of his vids was how to cut open a car battery and get out all the AAA rechargeable batteries inside.

svh19044

Without even watching the video content, just look at the background of what he is working with. :lol:

He must do the "displays" at home depot too!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Remember the "This Old House" episode where the electrican, Alan Galant does a service change

HOT. Then Kevin O'Connor is on an aluminum ladder observing Alan at work. A nominee for

the Darwin award.

I saw one epidsode where Bob Vila was stripping plaster off a wall when he hit a live outlet. The camera showed a flash, and he kept pounding on the wall!

tesi1

trainer

trainer

i believe this man is the laid off trainer from the big box stores, his panel looks like the one's the stores have on display for the do it your selfers.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Does anybody here see the stuff that is put on YouTube? I just found this one and he says the good old "any idiot can do it":lol:

Watch this for some laughs. And what's even more crazy it has 41 likes! Why do people take advice from someone they never even met or know any background on them??

Don't forget that every new customer you meet is taking advice from someone they have never met or know any background on.:happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
Don't forget that every new customer you meet is taking advice from someone they have never met or know any background on.:happyyes:

True. Contractors and service people usually have been contacted under the assumption that they are at least somewhat qualified. The guy in the video does not give us any credentials, maybe he does in some of the other links related to the video, did not check them out but they seem to indicate DIY.

DIY generally means "I know enough to make it do what I want it to do, but it may not be safe or efficient, but did cost me a lot less than having a professional do it." Although I doubt you will find that definition in a dictionary or Wikepedia.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
True. Contractors and service people usually have been contacted under the assumption that they are at least somewhat qualified. The guy in the video does not give us any credentials, maybe he does in some of the other links related to the video, did not check them out but they seem to indicate DIY.

DIY generally means "I know enough to make it do what I want it to do, but it may not be safe or efficient, but did cost me a lot less than having a professional do it." Although I doubt you will find that definition in a dictionary or Wikepedia.

And that is true too, but just because he doesn't have any credentials doesn't mean he's an idiot, any more than having credentials doesn't mean he's not.:D

Riograndeelectric

I would hoipe this is not what the big box store use as there demo!!

1. Panle is some used piece of garbage
2. Panel is rusted and bus bars look oxidized,
3. worng brand of breakers?some Ge, some Cutler hammer BR, some siemens ?
4. no connector for NM cable in panel.
looks like the NM staples are driven to tight
I have never heard of a code requiring devices be wraped with electrical tape

I dont know about the rest of you but If a customer called me and wanted me to come out and connect the circuit and device only I would not take the job. I would not want to assume the liabilty for the entire wiring of the circuit but this just the way I like to do things
Cameron

KVA

Every customer that calls me knows I'm a professional because they come from my website, advertisement, or word of mouth. And when I arrive my trucks has all my info lettered on it. I'm also registered with my state attorney general so HO's can look me up. My customers have plenty of info on me before they reach me.

This guy doesn't state he is a licensed and trained electrician at the start of his videos.

He blocked me for calling him out and commenting on his video asking if he is a licensed and trained electrician.:lol:

kwired

Electron manager
Every customer that calls me knows I'm a professional because they come from my website, advertisement, or word of mouth. And when I arrive my trucks has all my info lettered on it. I'm also registered with my state attorney general so HO's can look me up. My customers have plenty of info on me before they reach me.

This guy doesn't state he is a licensed and trained electrician at the start of his videos.

He blocked me for calling him out and commenting on his video asking if he is a licensed and trained electrician.:lol:

You should have asked him some "how to" questions before calling him out. Get into some real depth, making him think you were clueless on the topic, then suddenly start asking how to comply with specific code sections - and make sure you accurately cite the sections, maybe even correct him on misused terminology - just for fun.

KVA

You should have asked him some "how to" questions before calling him out. Get into some real depth, making him think you were clueless on the topic, then suddenly start asking how to comply with specific code sections - and make sure you accurately cite the sections, maybe even correct him on misused terminology - just for fun.

I did and he deleted my questions and blocked me.

He says in the video code says you have to wrap the outlet with tape:lol: I said tell me what art. in the NEC states that? Then I said you got the tape part right:lol: but it gets wrapped around the white wire in the panel and in the outlet box to identify it as a hot wire. Then he conveniently removed my posts and blocked me:thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
I did and he deleted my questions and blocked me.

He says in the video code says you have to wrap the outlet with tape:lol: I said tell me what art. in the NEC states that? Then I said you got the tape part right:lol: but it gets wrapped around the white wire in the panel and in the outlet box to identify it as a hot wire. Then he conveniently removed my posts and blocked me:thumbsup:

That's OK. Sites like this one don't allow participation by DIY, so it only makes sense that DIY sites should not allow participation by professionals:happyyes:

cowboyjwc

Staff member

It's obvious that you are not an inspector. Smoke and mirrors my friend, smoke and mirrors.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.