Bonding water main on a residence

Status
Not open for further replies.

badashuka

I am running emt conduit to pull a # 6 ground from ground rod to water main, can I run insulated stranded to avoid corrosion or do I have to run bare copper. 125 amp service. Also when the panel was installed the electrician did not install the bond to the water main so is it still ok to bond it this way since it will not be a continuous run with the #6, or do I have to redo the entire bonding run.

Thanks you guys are always very helpful

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You can run an insulated stranded conductor and you should not have to redo anything existing. Be sure to bond the end of your EMT to the conductor.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have seen stranded wire turned down based on 260.62 because the connection was below grade.
Do what? How does stranded affect this especially when the last sentence allows it to be stranded? The connection could be encapsulated if it came down to it.

BTW, I you had a typo Dennis, it should be 250.62.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
If it is not a continuous run I question whether you can run from the ground rod to the water pipe. Which is what I understand you describe doing. Need to look into that some more.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If it is not a continuous run I question whether you can run from the ground rod to the water pipe. Which is what I understand you describe doing. Need to look into that some more.
There is nothing mandating which electrode the GEC lands on first as long as the GEC is sized for the largest required electrode per 250.66, after that properly sized jumpers are all that is required.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So you have an existing #6 to the ground rod and you want to run a new #6 to the water pipe? The GEC is the existing #6 to the rod. The new #6 to the water pipe is a bonding jumper so you do not need to have a continuous #6 to the rod and then unbroken to the water pipe.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Do what? How does stranded affect this especially when the last sentence allows it to be stranded?
Roger
Thanks for the correction. 250.62 gives permission for the gec to be stranded but that does not necessarily mean stranded can be used to the rod without a compound. 250.62 states it must be resistant to any corrosive conditions. An inspector can argue that the strands of a stranded conductor will be more prone to oxidizing or whatever can happen in the earth.

I was surprised but I think they said that Ron agrees with them. I have never seen stranded to a rod in this area.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
An inspector can argue that the strands of a stranded conductor will be more prone to oxidizing or whatever can happen in the earth.
An inspector can argue just about anything including whether or not a frog would bump it's butt if it had wings and I would expect these same inspectors would require the frog to have a pillow strapped to it's butt just to show how clueless they really are. ;)

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
An inspector can argue just about anything including whether or not a frog would bump it's butt if it had wings and I would expect these same inspectors would require the frog to have a pillow strapped to it's butt just to show how clueless they really are. ;)

Roger

So if he turns you down based on conditions and material and the state inspector agrees- what recourse is there and is it worth it. I could not prove them right or wrong.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So if he turns you down based on conditions and material and the state inspector agrees- what recourse is there and is it worth it. I could not prove them right or wrong.
Unfortunatly there is not much you can do but that doesn't mean they are right.

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Roger

Hey, I'm an inspector and I take offense to that. Everyone knows that frogs don't have wings. But the pillow thing does have some merit and I will be submitting a code proposel to the ASPCA.

Now I know that pigs fly because that's when an engineer is going to admit he made a mistake.:roll:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hey, I'm an inspector and I take offense to that. Everyone knows that frogs don't have wings. But the pillow thing does have some merit and I will be submitting a code proposel to the ASPCA.

Now I know that pigs fly because that's when an engineer is going to admit he made a mistake.:roll:
Thanks John, that makes me feel much better. :)

Roger

jwelectric

I heard him say one time, "I made a mistake" which goes to prove he isn't right all the time. That is if we are talking about the same person in Raleigh.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I heard him say one time, "I made a mistake" which goes to prove he isn't right all the time.

I would love to know if there is any truth to it because it makes sense to me. I would think a solid wire in the ground will fair better than a stranded.

BTW, I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.