Wire Strippers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Nope , I have a similar type that was my dads. They work Just don't use them.

gndrod

Does anyone use the "automatic wire strippers" such as the one pictured in the following link?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932546&camp=PPC:Google#

A long time ago the automatic strippers were patented by Ideal and were improved by many other competitors. The pitfall of using this type of stripper is that the automatic grip on the conductor caused cold-flow degradation of certain insulations. Military contracts required constant tool recalibration for maintaining qualification during usage.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Two things:

1. You're going to get made fun of.
2. You'll end up throwing them away anyways and using regular strippers.

Save yourself some money and embarassment and pretend you never saw them....

:D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The best tool:

utilityknife.jpg

;)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have used just about every type of stripper there is on just about every type of wire. The two self adjusting tools mentioned above are fine if you have enough wire. Try using them on short wires that don't make it out of the box. Also, The one with the different holes is time consuming.

My favorite, which I lost, was a 30 dollar version of the one below, purchased at Lowes.

View attachment 6206

It looked cheap, but it held up well and I was pretty hard on it. It was very fast and you could easily get it into boxes. I haven't seen them there for a while (of course) but I would buy another one if they did.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Wiring term for insulation failure due to compression. Google research 'wiring cold flow'
Wow, 30+ years in the business, this is the first time I have EVER heard of this. But then again, I've never done MIL SPEC work. I'm not doubting you, I see the references, it's just NEVER come up in my world before.

Looks like it can reduce the dielectric value of the insulation, but I really wonder how real this problem is. If you were using 600V rated wire at 600V, maybe. But if you are using 600V rated wire at 120V or even 480V? I doubt this is something to get my undies in a twist about.

Back to the strippers, if I am working in a production shop environment doing 20 or 30 terminations an hour, you bet I want an automatic stripper. I find the multi-wire free form strippers like the Radio Shack one preferrable to the Ideal ones because you don't have to worry about placing the wire in the right (or rather wrong) groove. But I also find that they don't last as long either, those little razor wires tent to dull pretty fast and then the tool is garbage, but those Ideal strippers seem to last a lot longer and even when dull, they still work, it just starts to take more effort and your hand gets tired. So if someone else is providing the tool, multi-wire. If I have to buy it, Ideal.

But for field work? I wouldn't be caught dead weilding one of those. Not only are they too bulky for a tool belt, I couldn't take the ridicule from those around me.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Best wire strippers ever.....

images

I kid, I kid.
LOL, I have a small gap between my two upper incisors, it fits 18-16ga perfectly for stripping it, but 14ga is too thick and my teeth bang together once the insulation comes off. Still, I'm never without that "stripper" and at the top of a 50ft. ladder, I've been known to use it.

gndrod

Looks like it can reduce the dielectric value of the insulation, but I really wonder how real this problem is. If you were using 600V rated wire at 600V, maybe. But if you are using 600V rated wire at 120V or even 480V? I doubt this is something to get my undies in a twist about.
Most concern for cold-flow is when using TFE or FEP type insulation for high temperature and space vacuum conditions, the dielectric deformity failures become more inherent. Teflon tends to extrude easily and expose the primary conductor when compressed or banjo strung over surface edges. This anomaly was to have been considered as the possibility attributed to the mysterious fuel tank explosion of the Boeing 747 tragedy over NY in the mid 1980's.

gndrod

Don't you know that thing has been responsible for more jobsite injuries than any other tool in the history of construction work in the United States? Maybe even the world!

No question about that..but in the hands of a professional electrician....it is a time-saving gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.