Nebraska electrians

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdjs

Would like to know if your farmers need to have a electrical permit and inspection done in Nebraska?. Here in Iowa they do,the Farm Bureau is trying to do away with it.

480sparky

In Iowa, farmers can work on their own homes without a permit. If they hire someone, a permit must be acquired. And that's because FB wants it that way, they aren't trying to stop it.

sii

I assume you mean the farmer will be doing the work himself. Section 81-2121(5) of the Nebraska State Electrical act says:

Nothing in the State Electrical Act shall be construed to:
Prohibit an owner of property from performing work on his or her principal residence, if such residence is not larger than a single-family dwelling, or farm property, excluding commercial or industrial installations or installations in public-use buildings or facilities, or require such owner to be licensed under the act;
That's the only reference to farm property in the entire act. Basically, while they are not required to be licensed, unless the location is in a municipality that requires local permitting & inspection, they are subject to state permitting & inspection rules.

In Iowa, farmers can work on their own homes without a permit. If they hire someone, a permit must be acquired. And that's because FB wants it that way, they aren't trying to stop it.

My in-laws are farmers in IA and from what I've seen/heard, there is a great deal of resistance from farm groups.

When you say "work on" do you mean new installation or just maintenance of existing equipment? Is it just limited to the actual home or is the entire property OK?

In my experience (inferring nothing outside of that), if can be cobbled together a farmer is just the guy for the job. As evidenced by my father-in-law's 10 hp grain dryer that is served by a 250 amp breaker.:eek:

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Some of the POCOs require State Inspection on Pivots before they will connect them. That has nothing to do with NE law, just a POCO requirement.

Ag or farm work in general is not required to be inspected nor a permit taken. There is a chance that this may be changed during the current Unicameral session. We'll see.

480sparky

My in-laws are farmers in IA and from what I've seen/heard, there is a great deal of resistance from farm groups.

When you say "work on" do you mean new installation or just maintenance of existing equipment? Is it just limited to the actual home or is the entire property OK?

In my experience (inferring nothing outside of that), if can be cobbled together a farmer is just the guy for the job. As evidenced by my father-in-law's 10 hp grain dryer that is served by a 250 amp breaker.:eek:

They can work on their existing homes as well, no license. And that's exactly how FB wants it to stay.

Directly from the IEEB website:

A license is not required for an owner of property performing work on the owner’s principal residence, if such residence is an existing dwelling rather than new construction and is not larger than a single-family dwelling, or farm property or requires permit. New construction of a dwelling would require the electrical work to be performed by a licensed electrician. An inspection would be required for all new electrical installation regardless of whether a license is required.

resistance

I still think it?s ridiculous to let home owners do there own electrical work without the proper electrical permit and inspection.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
And I still think a homeowner should the right to screw up their own home without the Govt stepping in.

But what happens when home insurance premiums go up because everyone is burning their house down?

Do you agree with the govt. requiring seat belts? Is this any different?

Minuteman

As long as the Big Box stores sell Romex there will be home/business owners doing electrical work. Anyone can go in and buy everything needed to wire a whole house from HD or Lowes. It ought to be like in the HVAC trade where only contractors can buy Refrigerant, Gas valves, Condenser, or a Furnce.

Status
Not open for further replies.