Dishwasher feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
Hi, I have always hard wired the dishwasher. I have a situation where the wire is too short and have decided to install a receptacle in the wall and a cord and plug on the dishwasher. My question is does the receptacle need to be a single receptacle and do you need GFCI or AFCI protection on this circuit? Thanks in advance. p.s. this is in a manufactured ( double wide) home in NH

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
Just remembered that the outlet cannot be in the same cabinet compartment as the dishwasher. So now I need to go to plan B. Can a JB be installed behind the dishwasher?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Just remembered that the outlet cannot be in the same cabinet compartment as the dishwasher. So now I need to go to plan B. Can a JB be installed behind the dishwasher?

314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures to Be Accessible
Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole enclosures shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

IMO, the dishwasher is part of the building and inorder for you to access the Jbox the DW has to move. So you are in violation.

iMuse97

When I've cord connected a Dishwasher, I typically put the receptacle in a base cabinet next to the unit. You could hard wire from the JB to the receptacle under the sink or other nearby cabinet.

hurk27

314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures to Be Accessible
Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole enclosures shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

IMO, the dishwasher is part of the building and inorder for you to access the Jbox the DW has to move. So you are in violation.

Not exactly what the NEC says:
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.
A dishwasher is removable or it wouldn't be repairable, which I think the code would also have something to say about if it was not considered accessible.
A JB box is only required to be Accessible not Readily Accessible.

The disconnect in this case is required to be Readily Accessible.
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

A JB box would be fine behind a dish washer, then you can hard wire from there or run to the cabinet next to it and install a receptacle for use as a disconnect, if you hard wire you will need breaker lock to be compliant, which is why most install a receptacle now days.

dana1028

?? 422.16(B)(2) - Built-in Dishwashers
Subparts (4) & (5)
- (4) - The receptacle shall be located in the space occupied by the appliance or adjacent thereto.
- (5) - The receptacle shall be accessible.

?? This allows the receptacle in the same space as the dishwasher - typically found behind the d/w.; and the receptacle only has to be accessible, not readily accessible.

Where in the code does it disallow the recep in the same cab space as the d/w?...and where does it say the recep must be readily accessible?

Even in 422.33(A) - it only requires the plug & cord connected appliance to have the cord/plug accessible vs. readily accessible.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Not exactly what the NEC says:

A dishwasher is removable or it wouldn't be repairable, which I think the code would also have something to say about if it was not considered accessible.
A JB box is only required to be Accessible not Readily Accessible.

I see your point.

Would you consider a jbox behind a built in oven accessible as well?

Hendrix

?? 422.16(B)(2) - Built-in Dishwashers
Subparts (4) & (5)
- (4) - The receptacle shall be located in the space occupied by the appliance or adjacent thereto.
- (5) - The receptacle shall be accessible.

?? This allows the receptacle in the same space as the dishwasher - typically found behind the d/w.; and the receptacle only has to be accessible, not readily accessible.

Where in the code does it disallow the recep in the same cab space as the d/w?...and where does it say the recep must be readily accessible?

Even in 422.33(A) - it only requires the plug & cord connected appliance to have the cord/plug accessible vs. readily accessible.

That's the way I see it :happyyes:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In our area they allowed you to float a jb under the dishwasher if it was accessible. We used to put a switch in it and use that as the disco. Personally I would rather install the switch under the kit. sink- if it reaches or in another cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.