Using 12-2 MC cable for a 208v circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevareno

In the past, it has been common practice to use 12-2 for a 208v single phase circuit. You're just wasting wire if you use 12-3.

Is this still legal with the 2011 NEC? If so, does the code specify that you must re-identify the white conductor as a "hot" wire?

raider1

Staff member
Yes, it is acceptable. 200.7(C)(1) requires that the white wire be permanently re identified when using it as an ungrounded conductor.

Chris

Strife

I hardly see tape as a permanent thing.
Paint's a bit messy when you only have 8" of wire to work into a box, but I guess I'll have to start carry some touch up paint with me. I bet some inspectors will claim that's not permanent either as it can wash off with time. Same for magic marker.

Tape, paint or magic marker as long as the re-idenfication encircles the conductor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Tape has always been accepted wherever I have worked. Canada has NM cable , and I assume MC cable that has a black and red. No reidentifying necessary. I always wondered why 10/2, 8/2, etc utilizes a white wire

GlennG

I hardly see tape as a permanent thing.
Paint's a bit messy when you only have 8" of wire to work into a box, but I guess I'll have to start carry some touch up paint with me. I bet some inspectors will claim that's not permanent either as it can wash off with time. Same for magic marker.

tape is about as permanent as the 208v circuit. you can take the tape off just as easy as you can make that a 120v circuit:)

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Somebody should make an approved product for re-identification. Something like scotchcoat, but is lots of pretty colors. In little cans with thin brushes

renosteinke

Tattoo gun ... I love it!

Especially since the jokers at the HI boards all have fainting spells when they find wires re-identified with tape. Not permanent enough, they claim.

As for the OP's question .... it may seem to be a waste of wire, but doggone it if that 'extra' wire doesn't turn out to be usefull at some point!

kwired

Electron manager
Tattoo gun ... I love it!

Especially since the jokers at the HI boards all have fainting spells when they find wires re-identified with tape. Not permanent enough, they claim.

As for the OP's question .... it may seem to be a waste of wire, but doggone it if that 'extra' wire doesn't turn out to be usefull at some point!

If you need an extra wire at some point that is what the green one is for:jawdrop:

Status
Not open for further replies.