Grounding Liquidtype Flexible Metallic conduit ( LFMC )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Can LFMC be used between 2 non-metallic boxes . The LFMC is not being used for a ground as a ground wire is pulled thru it . Does the LFMC not need a grounding bushing added on at least one end to ground it ?

iwire

Staff member
314.3 Nonmetallic Boxes. Nonmetallic boxes shall be
permitted only with open wiring on insulators, concealed
knob-and-tube wiring, cabled wiring methods with entirely
nonmetallic sheaths, flexible cords, and nonmetallic
raceways.

Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided
between all entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted
to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored
cables.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I can only think of one exception in the NEC that allows leaving a metal raceway unbonded, at least for what I do. And that's the metal elbow in an underground run at least 18" below grade.

Everything else gets a bonding jumper/bushings, etc if I need it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like, according to the section that Bob posted, you cannot use LFMC with plastic boxes unless the box is designed so that all metallic entries are connected together.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Sounds like, according to the section that Bob posted, you cannot use LFMC with plastic boxes unless the box is designed so that all metallic entries are connected together.

I've often wondered if this means integral with the design of the box or if bonding bushings would suffice. In the past I've taken this to mean bonding bushings are OK. Either way, in the OP's case it needs bonding IMO as I don't think this could viewed as a sleeve.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've often wondered if this means integral with the design of the box or if bonding bushings would suffice. In the past I've taken this to mean bonding bushings are OK. Either way, in the OP's case it needs bonding IMO as I don't think this could viewed as a sleeve.

I've wondered about that too.

Davebones

We found some old LFMC that came from a pvc box to a Immersion heater . There's no way to put a ground bushing on the heater end as its a non-metallic threaded entry . It does have a ground in the LFMC to the heater . If we screw a bonding bushing at the pvc box to the LFMC and ground it would this meet code as far as grounding the LFMC ? Probably been like this for 15 yrs or more .

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
We found some old LFMC that came from a pvc box to a Immersion heater . There's no way to put a ground bushing on the heater end as its a non-metallic threaded entry . It does have a ground in the LFMC to the heater . If we screw a bonding bushing at the pvc box to the LFMC and ground it would this meet code as far as grounding the LFMC ? Probably been like this for 15 yrs or more .

IMO this would be compliant. I suppose ideally you could change it to LT non metallic flex with NM fiitings but I don't think it is required.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

What I've done on big LFMC to motors I've used water pipe clamps with a bond wire ziptied to the side of the flex underneath or out of the way where you can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.