Snap switches located in bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

darylsama

I have looked in the NEC 404.4 trying to identify the limitation of use for snap switches in bathroom areas. 404.4C i believe refers to enclosures but not necessarily within the room itself. Can you guide me to the limitations to use near vanities and shower/tub stalls?

Daryl

haskindm

No restrictions as long the switch is not in the area in a shower or above a tub.
The fact that a switch could be reached while in a tub or shower is not a concern.

480sparky

If a distance were ever required in the NEC, I'm sure there would be some bathrooms out there that would not be allowed to have any switches in them.

Besides, what's the difference between being wet standing in a shower and touching a switch, and standing at the sink all wet and touching a switch?

iwire

Staff member
If a distance were ever required in the NEC, I'm sure there would be some bathrooms out there that would not be allowed to have any switches in them.

I agree 100%.

Besides, what's the difference between being wet standing in a shower and touching a switch, and standing at the sink all wet and touching a switch?

In my opinion a lot so we will have to disagree here.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
garbage disposal switch requirements

garbage disposal switch requirements

I have a similar question regarding garbage disposal switches.
The under-the-sink switch that controls the garbage disposal is often accessed with soaking wet hands since the user is at the sink doing dishes, and hits the switch to clear the sink.
Are there any special requirements for that switch?

John M

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a similar question regarding garbage disposal switches.
The under-the-sink switch that controls the garbage disposal is often accessed with soaking wet hands since the user is at the sink doing dishes, and hits the switch to clear the sink.
Are there any special requirements for that switch?

John M

Nope.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

It is not really about being wet. It is about the surface you are standing on or touching being 'connected' to the plumbing system.

Remember not everything in the code makes perfect sense.:lol:
Especially when it is trying to protect us from ourselves.

480sparky

It is not really about being wet. It is about the surface you are standing on or touching being 'connected' to the plumbing system.

Which sinks are. The same logic that applied to GFCI receptables being originally required for kitchen countertops within 6' of the sink.

kwired

Electron manager

They are not the same thing, unless you are standing in the sink. There are some similar conditions.

As to being wet and operating a switch - so what. The part of the switch that the user normally contacts is made of insulating materials. Unless you are more than dripping wet (which is kind of hard to achieve) how are you ever going to make any kind of circuit beteen the live parts of the switch and yourself, unless the switch is broken? The only thing that is conductive is a metal wall plate or metal yoke of the switch - and those are supposed to be grounded.

renosteinke

Amazing, the paths 'logic' takes us down!

Imagine a place where the 'code' forbade any switches, any receptacles, in the bathroom at all .... even to the point of requiring a switch for the water heater. Been to Israel lately? Small wonder beards are fashionable there.

Imagine a place where the water heater was typically hung within the shower enclosure- to the extent where the washrag often gets hung from the flex feeding it. Been to Turkey lately?

Imagine a place where switches were outside the bath, and the 'receptacle' was of extremely limited power? Been to Britain lately?

Imagine a place where switches had to be 3-ft. from the shower. Hello, Canada.

Imagine a 'backwards' country where they actually REQUIRE a receptacle near the sink, and you can put a switch right at the edge of the shower. Look out your window lately?

Yet, for some silly reason, our 'shocking disregard' doesn't result in many shocks at all.

Codes, like good cooking, aren't made by any single element. All of the places I mentioned are quite modern, and quite regulated. It's just that their codes often start from different precepts, and even today their electrical systems use different elements. Thus, individual requirements that seem strange at first start to make sense once they're seen in context.

Status
Not open for further replies.