low volt cable strapped to emt

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim89s

Is it ok to strap low volt cable to emt. Code sec 300.11(B)2 states you can. Code sec 800.133(B) states you can't. I am trying to link several industrial ovens together so they can be monitored and controlled via a computer. The low volt cable would only be strapped to conduit directly associated with a oven. The cable is a 1.5 pair with shield. The cable ties into some sort of module then then is linked to a computer. Code sections referenced are from 2008.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
The way I read that it means only if the conductors in the EMT are for a piece of electrically controlled equipment and the LV wires you are strapping on are to control only that same piece of equipment.

Hendrix

The way I read that it means only if the conductors in the EMT are for a piece of electrically controlled equipment and the LV wires you are strapping on are to control only that same piece of equipment.
That is correct. An example that the handbook used is that of a t-stat wire run down a piece of emt that houses power for the burner.

Hendrix

Is it ok to strap low volt cable to emt. Code sec 300.11(B)2 states you can. Code sec 800.133(B) states you can't. I am trying to link several industrial ovens together so they can be monitored and controlled via a computer. The low volt cable would only be strapped to conduit directly associated with a oven. The cable is a 1.5 pair with shield. The cable ties into some sort of module then then is linked to a computer. Code sections referenced are from 2008.
800.133(B) are for communications wire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hendrix, would the lv wire I am using be considered communication wire. Because the lv wire is used to communicate with and control the ovens.
That's a good question. My guess is that those wires are not communication wires. If they were we would be in trouble as almost everything communicates with something else.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hendrix, would the lv wire I am using be considered communication wire. Because the lv wire is used to communicate with and control the ovens.
If the conductors control the equipment they would be covered by Article 725, not a Chaper 8 Article.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Wouldn't this definition indicate that 800 is only referring to the circuit(s) coming from the utility.

800.1 Scope. This article covers communications circuits
and equipment.

Communications Circuit. The circuit that extends voice,
audio, video, data, interactive services, telegraph (except
radio), outside wiring for fire alarm and burglar alarm from
the communications utility to the customer?s communications
equipment up to and including terminal equipment
such as a telephone, fax machine, or answering machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.