using my license

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph320

Occupation
Electrician
I have had my electtrical license for over a year now and things are pretty slow in my area. So I started working for a GC has an hourly employee. My question is if I pull the electrical permits on jobs that we work on, am I liable for any taxes or fees

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What taxes and fees? If you pull the permit you have the liability of the job but I don't know what fees and taxes you mean.

jph320

Occupation
Electrician
i am refering local,state and fed taxes. If I pull a permit for a $75000 job and at the end of the job the checks are made out to my boss and not me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
i am refering local,state and fed taxes. If I pull a permit for a $75000 job and at the end of the job the checks are made out to my boss and not me.
I am not sure how the rules work in your state but if the checks are not paid to you then you should not be responsible for the taxes. He would be-- IRS only wants you to pay for what you receive not anyone else.

Now you may want to check with your licensing board if it is okay to do what you are doing. I suspect there is no issue with it but I would check.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I wonder if he is going to increase your pay while you are responsible for the electrical work? What if he suggests skimping on a few items you think are warranted? Just a thought...:roll:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I wonder if he is going to increase your pay while you are responsible for the electrical work? What if he suggests skimping on a few items you think are warranted? Just a thought...:roll:

Yeah, I agree. I have never seen it work out

97catintenn

... He would be-- IRS only wants you to pay for what you receive not anyone else...

But if your business license shows your address as being in the city of the $75000 permit, the city would want you pay taxes on it. I don't think he is talking about the IRS and income tax. It would be more of a privilege tax...

What are you worth?

What are you worth?

I'm not sure of the kind of licence you hold. I'm taking that it's a Master license, and you have created a company through your state and have registered with your local government as well. If this is the case, taxes is not the only issue you should be concerned about although it is important to know who is liable for them. Right now, I'm more on the lines of you should be compisated to be pulling any permits in the name of your business. You work hard to earn your license, and it is not easy, or else your GC will be able to pull it. He can't operate legally with this permit, which puts you in a position to sell your services (which you work hard for). I commend the GC for putting you to work in these hard times, but there must be a line drawn.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't see whay this kind of relationship is bad. In several states a electrical contractor needs a full time master to obtain and sign off jobs or be one himself.

The pay needs to be accordinly.

haskindm

In Maryland an Electrical License may only represent one entity. If you use your license for your bosses' company then you cannot also do work under your own name. Of greater concern to me is the fact that you are liable for all the electric work done under your license. You need to have a LONG talk with your insurance agent and perhaps legal council to make sure you are comfortable. You must also "supervise" all work that is done under your license. What this means is subject to debate. Bottom line is, do you have "control" over people that are doing work under your license?

This is an agreement that needs to be evaluated very carefully.

renosteinke

If 'Haskindm' is who I think he is .... he certainly knows every shady trick out there; if he says 'be wary,' you should interpret that to mean 'run away like your life depended on it.'

Status
Not open for further replies.