Equipment Grounding Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearcats

In 250.124 (NEC 2011) the continuity of the EGC is discussed very briefly. My application is in PV array grounding. Does the NEC allow mechanical splices in the EGC? (split bolts)

Thank you!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
EGC may always be spliced however if you are asking about the egc being used as a GEC in the PV system then that may be different.

Bearcats

Thank you for the reply,
Some more background is needed I think....
The GEC is located in the foundation of the array, attached to the rebar. I have two EGC's coming from opposite sides of the array and meeting in the middle, which are to be bonded, and run down to the GEC, and equally bonded. I think you have answered my question in full though, I couldn't find in the code where it says "It's ok to use listed hardware on the EGC for mechanical bonding."

Thanks again.

jwelectric

Thank you for the reply,
Some more background is needed I think....
The GEC is located in the foundation of the array, attached to the rebar. I have two EGC's coming from opposite sides of the array and meeting in the middle, which are to be bonded, and run down to the GEC, and equally bonded. I think you have answered my question in full though, I couldn't find in the code where it says "It's ok to use listed hardware on the EGC for mechanical bonding."

Thanks again.

If you are running a common grounding electrode conductor and then tapping off to each end of the array then a split bolt is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.