Major boo boo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Engineer

I designed this job, which required a new 5KV unit substation. Unit sub has (2) 2MVA transformers, with a 3000A switchboard (480V), tie breaker, etc. The unit sub hasn't been installed, but the steel supports are installed.

I get a call from the Electrical Forman, and he says, "Ma'am, we have a real problem out here. The piping guy is installing his 2' water pipe over my unit substation." I said, "What, he was supposed to turn the pipe avoiding running over the substation, and hang the pipe over the work space in front of the unit substation." (the pipe would be about 15' A.F.F.) "Well, too late, he has his piping installed.", he says. The foreman then says, "Well, he told me that he would run it 2" above the those 2 MVA transformers., but I said I guess we don't need conduits coming out of the unit substation." LOL Wow... :happyno:

This foreman is a smart cookie, and has been very good on the job. Can you imagine if he didn't catch that before they installed the unit substation.

pfalcon

I designed this job, which required a new 5KV unit substation. Unit sub has (2) 2MVA transformers, with a 3000A switchboard (480V), tie breaker, etc. The unit sub hasn't been installed, but the steel supports are installed.

I get a call from the Electrical Forman, and he says, "Ma'am, we have a real problem out here. The piping guy is installing his 2' water pipe over my unit substation." I said, "What, he was supposed to turn the pipe avoiding running over the substation, and hang the pipe over the work space in front of the unit substation." (the pipe would be about 15' A.F.F.) "Well, too late, he has his piping installed.", he says. The foreman then says, "Well, he told me that he would run it 2" above the those 2 MVA transformers., but I said I guess we don't need conduits coming out of the unit substation." LOL Wow... :happyno:

This foreman is a smart cookie, and has been very good on the job. Can you imagine if he didn't catch that before they installed the unit substation.

Tell the pipe hanger that you've spotted a leak over the transformer. He can stand on the unit to reach his pipe after you get the power up. :)

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Maybe he figured the heat from your transformers would keep the pipe from freezing in the winter :lol:

I wonder how he figured that was going to fly. Did you put on your mean face and call him?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We don' need no steenkin coordination!

We don' need no steenkin coordination!

If the job was coordinated, a brief call to the GC might be in order. If the pipe is in a space it doesn't belong, he has to move it. My own experience in NJ suggests that coordination is a rare thing in the Garden State. It's more like the Wild West, first in gets first choice and the devil take the hindmost.

Lady Engineer

Maybe he figured the heat from your transformers would keep the pipe from freezing in the winter :lol:

I wonder how he figured that was going to fly. Did you put on your mean face and call him?

I left the "mean face" in my desk drawer, and told him make it work.

Next time, I will remember to put on my "mean face", and tell him you're not getting your next payment until you correct this.

I applaud the EC, he was on top of it, but there was almost a fight out there...LOL :jawdrop:

Status
Not open for further replies.