FPLP fire alarm wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does NFPA 70 reference how frequent to support fire alarm wire FPLP? Is FPLP wire considered non-metalic cable? Article 760 doesn't appear to state how often fire alarm wire is to be supported. I'm asking about an installation above a grid ceiling.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The specific points of support above a suspended ceiling should be provided to comply with 760.21 & 760.24 of the NEC.

So, that's every 4 feet? 6 feet? 20 feet? Sorry, but the OP was looking for a prescriptive answer and the short answer is that there is none.

israelsawyer, pretend that your infant daughter will be sleeping in the protected space overnight and go from there.

WIMaster

Israelsawyer, pretend that your infant daughter will be sleeping in the protected space overnight and go from there.

VERY good advice! Especially with a life safety system.

I would also check with the cable manufacturer to see what their specs are.

Around here we use 4' as a rule of thumb, but I honestly cannot say why although someone did tell me once.

bphgravity

So, that's every 4 feet? 6 feet? 20 feet?

Yes. And no.

In some circumstances, 20 feet may be sufficient. In others, 4 feet may be required. The point is that cable securing & supporting, in this case, is based on the discretion of the AHJ based on what is neat & workmanlike unless otherwise specified in the manufacturer's installation instructions or as directed by approved engineering.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yes. And no.

In some circumstances, 20 feet may be sufficient. In others, 4 feet may be required. The point is that cable securing & supporting, in this case, is based on the discretion of the AHJ based on what is neat & workmanlike unless otherwise specified in the manufacturer's installation instructions or as directed by approved engineering.

:rant:This is a perfect example of what the NFPA is supposedly getting rid of from their codes and standards. We are told that basically, "if you can't measure it, you can't enforce it" and yet the old "neat and workmanlike" still shows up in the NEC. And the cable manufacturers will tell you "install per applicable code"; I know, I've tried to get them to commit on more than one occasion. This doesn't do anyone any good, worst for the AHJ who can only come off seeming to be arbitrary because, well, he will be!

AHJ: "Wow, every 3-1/2 feet! Five or six would have been plenty!
Me: "That's not what you said on the last job you inspected!! This spacing added a whole man-day to this job! @#$%%!!@#!

Status
Not open for further replies.