unique home inspector cures

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

The first thing in this inspectors report is a long discussion about the evils of Zinsco panels. I agere with most of his assesment there and would also recommend replacement. We divirge however on othe things like the infamous "double tap" that they all think is real dangerous. Heres where we really diverge"Ungrounded 3 prong outlets in various locations should be repaired. (ok so far) connect grounds if available.(good again). If no ground is present "repair" can be as simple as filling the ground slot with epoxy. Or string a ground from a ground source to the outlet. Some codes allow the installation of a gfci where grounding is not provided(some codes? ).In this case the gfci "may" work but cant be tested by" normal "means".. I really am unsure where theses folks get thier training or dream up these things!! LOL His normal means of testing must mean he gets an error code on his plug in tester. Needs to be educated that normal means is just press the test button.

kwired

Electron manager
The first thing in this inspectors report is a long discussion about the evils of Zinsco panels. I agere with most of his assesment there and would also recommend replacement. We divirge however on othe things like the infamous "double tap" that they all think is real dangerous. Heres where we really diverge"Ungrounded 3 prong outlets in various locations should be repaired. (ok so far) connect grounds if available.(good again). If no ground is present "repair" can be as simple as filling the ground slot with epoxy. Or string a ground from a ground source to the outlet. Some codes allow the installation of a gfci where grounding is not provided(some codes? ).In this case the gfci "may" work but cant be tested by" normal "means".. I really am unsure where theses folks get thier training or dream up these things!! LOL His normal means of testing must mean he gets an error code on his plug in tester. Needs to be educated that normal means is just press the test button.

For a grounded receptacle with no ground, make sure he is on a well grounded surface and in contact with a metal wall plate or anything connected to the receptacle ground terminal when he presses the test button on his plug in tester.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The things many home inspectors say are just as bad as many DIY fixes.:happyno: GFCIs will work without a EGC. Filling the ground hole with epoxy is a legal fix in Canada that Ive been told.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've read about the epoxy in the ground hole before. From what I remember it was SOP for HI's to recommend such a fix.

stew

just the first time I ever heard of this. The dreaded Zinsco panels keep me busy tho as well as the even worse double taps that can cause fires ya know.Wierd how you can extend a circuit outside the panel and noone knows the difference but when you do it in the panel ..... look out!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
What's up with home inspectors and the "double tap" thing? I get this all the time. Many breakers have terminals approved for this. Do they not get this?

kwired

Electron manager
just the first time I ever heard of this. The dreaded Zinsco panels keep me busy tho as well as the even worse double taps that can cause fires ya know.Wierd how you can extend a circuit outside the panel and noone knows the difference but when you do it in the panel ..... look out!

does same guy get all excited about it if there is only one lead to the breaker and it splits off via an approved connection?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
does same guy get all excited about it if there is only one lead to the breaker and it splits off via an approved connection?

Probably, a wire nut in the panel seems to be the same as "double" tap to them.
I looked at a house for a realtor the other day that was also told he had "double tap" problems. Go and check it and, well, the breakers were approved for this, not a problem. But quick look around shows more violations than you can count. Realtor: "Oh, they said everything else is fine". Sounds harsh, but I think the whole HI industry is a sham.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What's up with home inspectors and the "double tap" thing? I get this all the time. Many breakers have terminals approved for this. Do they not get this?

Most breaker are only listed for one conductor but you're correct an HI should differentiate between the listed for one conductor and the listed for two conductor types.

stew

If they see anything that has 2 wires its the dreaded double tap. Even when there are 2 wires connected to a ch tan or a square d qo. that really gets em excited. they will write it up every time. If I know a reinspect may occur I try to splice and hide the splice or mix it in so its not noticeable. I also leave a note for these guys with a code reference and explanation of why its ok to "double tap" these style breakers.Some have not agreed and I have had to add a breaker to satisfy them. what a waste of time and customers money. Oh well thats what keeps me goin I guess.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
One of my favorites was, " oh just connect the ground to a metal water pipe" that was to allow for a 3 prong plug. My jaw dropped.:jawdrop: kid u not.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The biggest issue I have with HI's is that they don't go down to B&S and pull the address file and see when the house was built. They go through and say that you're "required" to have GFCI receptacles in certain places, instead of saying that it's "recommended" that you have GFCI receptacles, or that you're required to have this or that because they just inspect the house to the newest code.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Even when there are 2 wires connected to a ch tan or a square d qo.

I've noticed the latest C-H CH (tan) breakers no longer have the (2) by the 14-10 wire label. The lug design is also different. It seems like they are no longer listed for double lugging unless it says so on the datasheet and not on the breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.