4000watt heater 240 volts on 20 amp breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstepka

We ran into a situation where a contractor installed a 12/2 nm cable to a 4000 watt 240 volt electric heater. He protected it on a 20 amp overcurrent device. Is this breaking the NEC? He is saying that he derate the #12 from the 90 degree column which is 25 amps. If you take 80% of 25 amps it is 20 amps. He says because article 240 protects the wiring on the 20 amp overcurrent device because 20 amps is the largest overcurrent device I can put on a #12 wire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The contractor cannot use 75C rating for #12 if he is using nm cable. NM cable is rated 60C so he is in violation. Also a water heater is a continuous load so you must have a wire with a ampacity of 125% of the load. I am assuming a storage water heater.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

The contractor is incorrect.

424.3(B) requires the branch circuit for fixed electric space heating equipment to be considered a continuous load. Therefore 210.19(A)(1) requires that branch circuit be sized at 125% of the continuous load and 210.20(A) requires that the overcurrent protective device also be sized at 125% of the continuous load.

Therefore with a 4000 Watt heater at 240 volts the ampacity is 16.666 amperes and if you multiply this by 125% you are required conductors and an overcurrent protective device that are rated at least 20.83 amperes.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would assume electric space heater before water heater myself??
Yeah after Chris' post I realized that but the answer is the same 125%- no dice the way he did it. I bet it will work forever like that but it is not compliant.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Yeah after Chris' post I realized that but the answer is the same 125%- no dice the way he did it. I bet it will work forever like that but it is not compliant.

Sure, probably will.

I'd try and swap guts to a 3500w heater if it's not practical to repull the wire.

Last edited:

mstepka

Heater

Heater

This is a Electric Baseboard Heater. We were discussing this in class today. What if 1 had 2x4 troffers and installed 17 of them that drew 1 amp a piece and installed it on 12/2 MC and did the same thing on a 20 amp overcurrent device. Because this time it is not NM wiring and it is not a continiuous load.

raider1

Staff member
This is a Electric Baseboard Heater. We were discussing this in class today. What if 1 had 2x4 troffers and installed 17 of them that drew 1 amp a piece and installed it on 12/2 MC and did the same thing on a 20 amp overcurrent device. Because this time it is not NM wiring and it is not a continiuous load.

The same sections apply. If the load were not in fact a continuous load the you could have 20 1 amp 2X4 troffers on a 20 amp circuit with #12 MC cable and a 20 amp circuit breaker. Most likely though lighting will be considered a continuous load. Remember that the definition of a continuous load is a load that run for 3 hours or more.

Chris

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
What if 1 had 2x4 troffers and installed 17 of them that drew 1 amp a piece and installed it on 12/2 MC and did the same thing on a 20 amp overcurrent device. Because this time it is not NM wiring and it is not a continiuous load.

There is no problem with putting seventeen 1 Amp (non-continuous) troffers on a 20A c/b with 12/2 MC.

For that matter, there is no problem with putting seventeen 1 Amp (non-continuous) troffers on a 20A c/b with 12/2 NM.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The same sections apply. If the load were not in fact a continuous load the you could have 20 1 amp 2X4 troffers on a 20 amp circuit with #12 MC cable and a 20 amp circuit breaker. Most likely though lighting will be considered a continuous load. Remember that the definition of a continuous load is a load that run for 3 hours or more.

Chris

Chris 210.19 states that the conductor must have an ampacity of the load times 125%. If mc is rated 25 amps then the wire is rated for the load. Does it say the OCPD must also be 125%???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Chris 210.19 states that the conductor must have an ampacity of the load times 125%. If mc is rated 25 amps then the wire is rated for the load. Does it say the OCPD must also be 125%???

Dennis I think that you need to read that one again for non-continuous loads.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis I think that you need to read that one again for non-continuous loads.
I read it but it implies you cannot do this for continuous loads. I have never done it but if the wire is rated 25 amps why can't you use 17 amp continuous load if you use a 20 amp breaker.

But i just remembered the breaker would have to be rated 100% for continuous load also.

raider1

Staff member
I read it but it implies you cannot do this for continuous loads. I have never done it but if the wire is rated 25 amps why can't you use 17 amp continuous load if you use a 20 amp breaker.

But i just remembered the breaker would have to be rated 100% for continuous load also.

Correct, 210.20(A) requires the OCPD to be sized at 125% for a continuous load. That is really the catch all in this situation.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.