• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Tom, sshh. :D :lol:

We'll consider the board and the door enough of an obstacle to ignore the lack of TR. :D

Mark this day on your calendar, folks - we all agreed on something! :jawdrop:

oops, I said no GFI. I didn't see the last pic, with the sink. I also see it is a single outlet. apparently, this doesn't matter anymore right, Cuz we have to GFI Washers, and Garage freezers. Do we GFI fridges now too?

raider1

Staff member
oops, I said no GFI. I didn't see the last pic, with the sink. I also see it is a single outlet. apparently, this doesn't matter anymore right, Cuz we have to GFI Washers

Not unless the washer receptacle is located within 6' of a sink.

, and Garage freezers. Do we GFI fridges now too?

Depends on the location of the fridge.:)

If the receptacle that supplies the fridge is located within 6' of a wet bar sink not located in a kitchen then it is required to be GFCI protected. (See 210.8(A)(7))

Chris

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I certainly know I'm in the minority but I say no. IMHO your not installing a receptacle... Your installing an appliance....
I don't understand why everyone would ignore the TR requirement but cling to the GFI requirement if you feel your installing a receptacle.

iwire

Staff member
Your installing an appliance....

I agree it is an appliance ........ one that has a 125 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacle on it.

I don't understand why everyone would ignore the TR requirement but cling to the GFI requirement if you feel your installing a receptacle.

I don't either and I did not mention TRs because I forgot about them.:)

IMO this needs to be TR as well.

(BTW, I think 'Plugmold' is listed as a 'multioutlet assembly' not a receptacle so I guess if we don't have to comply with the ironing board because it is not a receptacle we would not have to when we install plugmold)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would say if the ironing board setup was hardwired, then at least it should be on a GFCI breaker. Same dangers exist whether it is an appliance with a receptacle or just a receptacle. Or does the current/voltage say "no GFI so we are free to shock them...no wait, it's just an appliance so we have to behave.":lol:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
You guys and your code minimums,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If it was your 12 year old daughter ironing clothes to help mommy, would you want a GFCI in the circuit supplying it?

hurk27

I certainly know I'm in the minority but I say no. IMHO your not installing a receptacle... Your installing an appliance....

It makes no difference, remember back when most ranges had a receptacle on them, they were removed because they didn't meet a few codes, if a medicine cabinet had a receptacle, it had to be GFCI protected? where in 210.8(A)(7) is there an exception for receptacles on appliances? even a fart fan "as Bob called it" is a tough call as per wording of 210.8(A)(7) but IMO it could be considered not in the bathroom because of the cover on it making the receptacle not available for use in the bathroom?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
It makes no difference.............even a fart fan "as Bob called it" is a tough call as per wording of 210.8(A)(7) but IMO it could be considered not in the bathroom because of the cover on it making the receptacle not available for use in the bathroom?

Hey I hear ya. It's just my opinion. I'd be VERY curious how many here would refuse to install that appliance because it wasn't TR......

Also it seems silly to think the fart fan recept is ok because it has a cover on it...(where is THAT is the code?)IMHO you guys are clouded by what your think the code is TRYING to say (which I do also on the job and think is admirable) and not what it says.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If the thing in the fan is a 'receptacle', you would not be able to install the fan unless the interior disconnect was a grounded 3-wire one (unless it was being added to an existing 2-wire circuit).

gotmud

Ha funny, I had this same thing and the outlet was not TR so the inspector said we couldn't wire it...so we installed a handy box in there with a GFI....We also had to install an arc breaker for the circuit....ended up being an expensive ironing board...:slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.