Splices outside of a junction box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve@Atkins

I am a traffic signal inspector. On a current project the electrical contractor hired to remove and replace traffic control equipment cabinets has made splices in the feeds from the disconnect to the over current protection device inside the cabinet. These splices are made in the open work area of the cabinet with only standard acorn wire nuts as protection. The Government owner has listed this as a violation of NEC or NESC. Contract documents require the new installation to be in compliance with current NEC NESC codes. I need assistance in citing code sections that may apply. As an inspector I represent the Govt. agancy but am expected to unbiased decisions based on the facts. The main concern of the customer is that their technicians will perform routine and emergency maintenace in these cabinets and should a wire nut fall off over time, they may be at risk for shock injury.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sii

The main concern of the customer is that their technicians will perform routine and emergency maintenace in these cabinets and should a wire nut fall off over time, they may be at risk for shock injury.
=Thanks

They'll be wearing proper PPE though, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.