WIRING SCENARIO- Ground & Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok, this may be one of my "dumber" questions. If you have 3 light poles on the same circuit next to each other about 50' apart and they want a separate neutral and ground would you only pull the ground and neutral to the first light pole and only extend/splice only the hot or would they N&G have to be spliced as well and run to each pole? THanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Splice. A separate neutral and ground for each light would be a waste of time and money.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Splice. A separate neutral and ground for each light would be a waste of time and money.

What do you eman by that? Your saying that should not be what they are asking for or if they are then how I explained the wiring is not correct for a seperate N&G? THanks. Oh and it's a 1 pole 20a 120v circuit

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
At the first pole you have a feed consisting of 3 conductors, Hot, Neutral, EGC. From there run 3 conductors to the second pole and make a splice in the first pole. Same holds true for the second pole.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
At the first pole you have a feed consisting of 3 conductors, Hot, Neutral, EGC. From there run 3 conductors to the second pole and make a splice in the first pole. Same holds true for the second pole.

Ok, last thing(scenerio..all same circuit). If there were (4) poles, 3 conductors(H,N,G) would run out to first pole, then splice there and extend the H,N,G then splice at 2nd pole and extend H,N,G and so on up to 4th pole..right

If they did not ask for a dedicated ground the RGS could be used? THanks.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Ok, last thing(scenerio..all same circuit). If there were (4) poles, 3 conductors(H,N,G) would run out to first pole, then splice there and extend the H,N,G then splice at 2nd pole and extend H,N,G and so on up to 4th pole..right

Do you need to compensate for voltage drop? Remember, the conductor feeding the first pole will carry the current of all four lights, the conductor feeding the last pole will only be carrying the current of a single light. That is something else to consider.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Do you need to compensate for voltage drop? Remember, the conductor feeding the first pole will carry the current of all four lights, the conductor feeding the last pole will only be carrying the current of a single light. That is something else to consider.

But was the wiring how I figured it correct from pole to pole?

So you are saying that there could be say a #4AWG to the forst pole then #10's feeding the rest? THanks for the help.

maghazadeh

Ok, this may be one of my "dumber" questions. If you have 3 light poles on the same circuit next to each other about 50' apart and they want a separate neutral and ground would you only pull the ground and neutral to the first light pole and only extend/splice only the hot or would they N&G have to be spliced as well and run to each pole? THanks.

We like these kind of questions, keep through them in. However basic knowlege of electricity / circuitary functions is good to have.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

So you are saying that there could be say a #4AWG to the forst pole then #10's feeding the rest? THanks for the help.

I don't know exactly how it would work out, but yeah, I think you got the idea.

Doing the calcs can be tricky because the voltage drop is additive. Every time you add a load it will be at a lower voltage, and the amount it lowers will change with wire size. So you might go from a 4 to a 6 to an 8 to a 10, for instance.

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I don't know exactly how it would work out, but yeah, I think you got the idea.

Doing the calcs can be tricky because the voltage drop is additive. Every time you add a load it will be at a lower voltage, and the amount it lowers will change with wire size. So you might go from a 4 to a 6 to an 8 to a 10, for instance.

I am not really taking about the VD, I am making sure the numbers of wires I referred to above would be correct?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I am not really taking about the VD, I am making sure the numbers of wires I referred to above would be correct?

You want to know if the number of conductors are correct? You need 3 conductors going to each pole unless,,,

A: you are the POCO

B: It is a series street lighting circuit with a current transformer

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

You can also start with a smaller conductor and use a larger conductor at the end.

Roger

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You can also start with a smaller conductor and use a larger conductor at the end.

Roger

You mean a larger conductor fropm panel to first pole then smaller...How could you have larger between the poles then smaller all the way back to panel.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I don't agree. The conductor you start with will be carrying 4 times the current as the last one.

Say for example the first pole is 5 feet away from the panel, and the next pole is 1,500 feet away from the first. And you are only running large conductor for voltage drop.

Although, not a likely situation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't agree. The conductor you start with will be carrying 4 times the current as the last one.
Think about it for a minute and take note that I didn't mention conductor sizes

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.