Rendundant Ground Dental Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This would be outside the scope of the NEC but generally speaking, the answer is no.

Roger

maghazadeh

In a dental office where the receptacles are supplied with medical grad mc cable dose anything plugged into a receptacle also require a redundant ground?

Dose anything plugged into a receptacle also require a redundant ground?
No, 15 - 20A, 120V straight blade receptacles (single or duplex) has only 3 prongs (H + N + G).
The redundant ground wire is for bonding the metal box to grounding system. If you use EMT instead of MC cable, only one EGC required to be pulled with (H & N).

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
If you use EMT instead of MC cable, only one EGC required to be pulled with (H & N).

This statement is a little misleading. If you use MC cable, it must be listed for redundant ground and as such, may only have 1 ground conductor as well. While I am not implying that you don't know this, others may not. You can not use regular MC any part of the conduit and wiring system that feeds patient care areas of a health care facility.

maghazadeh

This statement is a little misleading. If you use MC cable, it must be listed for redundant ground and as such, may only have 1 ground conductor as well. While I am not implying that you don't know this, others may not. You can not use regular MC any part of the conduit and wiring system that feeds patient care areas of a health care facility.

Originally Posted by maghazadeh
If you use EMT instead of Medical rated MC cable, only one EGC required to be pulled with (H & N).

Hope this will satisfys you concern, Since topic was about medical rated MC cable, I simply didnot repeat the wording and didnot mean regular MC. Thanks for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.