Life Safety Panel Location vs Load Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyriousn

Occupation
EE & BIM
Can a life safety panel located in the basement of the building serve a lighting load located up on the 2nd floor of a building? The circuit would leave the basement travel through the 1st floor and make it to the 2nd. Someone here at the office is telling me it's not allowed but I can't find it in the code. 2011 in MA. Perhaps its something local in there MA ammendment.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
First of all, the phrase "life safety" does not apply outside health care facilities. If you mean "emergency," and specifically "egress lights," then yes the panel can be on another floor. In multi-story buildings, I usually put emergency lighting panels on every third floor (i.e., the panel on floor 2 serves egress lights on floors 1, 2, and 3).

cyriousn

Occupation
EE & BIM
Thanks Charlie for the input here is a follow up question.

The facility I am working on is a supply process and distribution building. Basically they are sterilzing contaminated medical equipment for repackaging and reuse.

From looking at 517.2 Health Care Facilities are, "Buildings or portions of buildings in which medical,dental,psychiatric,nursing,obstetrical, or surgical care are provided."

Also 517.1 the Scope says, "The provisions of this article shall apply to electrical contstruction and installation criteria in health care facillities that provide services to human beings."

Since this building does not provide direct care to patients it's my opinion that this does not fall under a health care facility? Am I correct under this assumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.