Meter Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

I?m bidding to install a meter pole-between the house and utility transformer (currently the overhead run is too far). Has anyone installed a meter pole (Pressure treated-round-30 to 35 feet long) for any property. If so, what was your cost to install it. Yes, I know each area is different, but I can get a ball park figure, by doing a simple "per average" calculation. Note: I?m thinking of hiring a person to drop one (pole) in for me, and I want to get an idea before proceeding. Note: I have never installed a pole of this caliber. I?m sure many of you have?seeing that some of you are utility line man. For me to install something this high and heavy, I would need to rent equipment. Just curious!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Our POCOs would not put a meter on a pole they did not own.

So they own the temporary poles (saw service), and the old farm service poles that every building service branced out from? I am not familiar with your area, but with that reasoning, they would have to own every house that their meter is attached to also. :huh:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I?m bidding to install a meter pole-between the house and utility transformer (currently the overhead run is too far). Has anyone installed a meter pole (Pressure treated-round-30 to 35 feet long) for any property. If so, what was your cost to install it. Yes, I know each area is different, but I can get a ball park figure, by doing a simple "per average" calculation. Note: I?m thinking of hiring a person to drop one (pole) in for me, and I want to get an idea before proceeding. Note: I have never installed a pole of this caliber. I?m sure many of you have?seeing that some of you are utility line man. For me to install something this high and heavy, I would need to rent equipment. Just curious!

I don't quite understand the reasoning here. I am going to assume the run is to far (>100'), as opposed to the run is to far for voltage drop. Where is the meter now? Wouldn't this be the POCO responsibility?

Anyhow, a 30 foot pole will give you 25' of height. The poles cost in the neighborhood of $150. Having one set would depend on the guy doing the job. You know your area better than us. There are various ways to set the poles, with or without equipment. The easiest way may be to hire a guy that has access to a line truck on the weekend. Check with telephone, power, and even traffic signal subcontractors. call you POCO and ask who there subs are, ask for operations dept. tell them what you want, they should point you in the right direction.

kwired

Electron manager
So they own the temporary poles (saw service), and the old farm service poles that every building service branced out from? I am not familiar with your area, but with that reasoning, they would have to own every house that their meter is attached to also. :huh:

Temporary poles are usually not that large and are easier to install without heavy equipment.

The farm service poles - doesn't matter if they are old or not, they are still common practice and NEC requires a site isolation device in 547 - are usually installed by POCO, as well as the metering and disconnectiing means. It varies from one POCO to another whether or not this is POCO equipment or customer owned equipment. If it is customer owned then they are billed for it by POCO. They can have a contractor install it if they wish but POCO usually can do it for less than a contractor, because they are only trying to cover costs and not profit from it. (They are public power companies and not privately owned companies)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Temporary poles are usually not that large and are easier to install without heavy equipment.

The farm service poles - doesn't matter if they are old or not, they are still common practice and NEC requires a site isolation device in 547 - are usually installed by POCO, as well as the metering and disconnectiing means. It varies from one POCO to another whether or not this is POCO equipment or customer owned equipment. If it is customer owned then they are billed for it by POCO. They can have a contractor install it if they wish but POCO usually can do it for less than a contractor, because they are only trying to cover costs and not profit from it. (They are public power companies and not privately owned companies)

Isn't Nebraska full of co-ops? I know RUS still has assemblies for farm services. (MOP- Meter On Pole)

kwired

Electron manager
Isn't Nebraska full of co-ops? I know RUS still has assemblies for farm services. (MOP- Meter On Pole)

One of very few and possibly the only state with entirely public owned electric utilities.

Also one of the lowest electric rates in the country per their statistics.

They put a lot of effort into future needs as well as keeping costs down.

Privately owned companies put a lot of effort into paying owners and investors, then the needs of cusomers at a higher cost because that is what it will take to get it done. (Just how I see it, but seems to be true) There is a big difference in quality and cost of services provided by these public utilities vs the private phone and gas companies.

kwired

Electron manager
I have set a pole a time or two without the use of boom truck and digger derrick. It is not all that fun and makes the right equipment look appealing.

Most of time was on farm place and guy had a tractor with loader available. Not too bad for a 20-25 foot pole but when you get to 30 -35 foot it becomes more of a job.

I don't know cost of pole. Local POCO sells reject poles for like a buck a foot. They are reject poles and will have problems. Most likely they have enough decay at base you will want to cut the base off and then you have a shorter pole. This works great for those that want a 20 foot pole when 30 foot poles are most of what they have available.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

The rural districts only put the meters on their poles. Even in the small towns. Those in the bigger "cities" are bldg mounted with POCO's specs Farms may originally have had poles installed by POCOs, but they are now the responsibility of the owners, after the meter. I can't vouch for all temp services.

resistance

I have set a pole a time or two without the use of boom truck and digger derrick. It is not all that fun and makes the right equipment look appealing.

Most of time was on farm place and guy had a tractor with loader available. Not too bad for a 20-25 foot pole but when you get to 30 -35 foot it becomes more of a job.

I don't know cost of pole. Local POCO sells reject poles for like a buck a foot. They are reject poles and will have problems. Most likely they have enough decay at base you will want to cut the base off and then you have a shorter pole. This works great for those that want a 20 foot pole when 30 foot poles are most of what they have available.
TY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.