Sharing raceways

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a generator to install and have seen this done both ways. I would like to know the right way... From the generator to the transfer switch i will have the Emergency power, Control circuits and utility sensing circuits. How many conduits will i need. I have seen it done with 2 or 3 raceways. In my opinion it should be 3
(1 for em power, 1 for the 24v control circuits and 1 for the utility sensing circuits. am I wrong for thinking this way? thank you for your awnsers in advance.

iwire

Staff member
First is it really an emergency generator or is it an optional standby unit?

That will answer the question if you can have the utility and generator power conductors in the same raceway.

As far as the control circuits it depends what class they are. If they are class 2 then no not in the same raceway as the others. (there are some exceptions)

But the above is the NEC, you also have to consider what the instructions require as the NEC requires you follow the instructions.

iand74

i use 1 raceway for everything. that's the way the generac pre wired generators come. i've never had anyone question it.

Status
Not open for further replies.