Residential Closet Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc1060

I have a question regarding closet lights [410.16]. I have a job where the customer was told to replace all there closet lights with fluorscent fixtures. Is there any way I can remove the fixture and blank it, leaving no light. Also there are 3 fixtures that are recessed already is there are any regulation that requires them to be fluorscent.

raider1

Staff member
There is no NEC requirement that a closet has to have a lighting outlet.

For recessed cans in a clothing closet if they are incandescent then they must have a enclosed lens as you can't have an open bulb.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For recessed lights, if possible, just install a proper shower trim and lamps. Certainly blanking them off is an option too.

raider1

Staff member
For recessed lights, if possible, just install a proper shower trim and lamps. Certainly blanking them off is an option too.

The problem with most shower trims is that you are limited to a 40 watt incandescent bulb.

They make 6" LED replacement trims that are enclosed and have the lumens of a 60 watt incandescent light bulb but only draw 6 watts.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Even with the shower trim you are still required to have the minimum clearance. I measure to the edge of the fixutre and sometimes they go in and put in some huge fixture and can fix it by either putting in a smaller fixture or a fluorescent fixture.

raider1

Staff member
Even with the shower trim you are still required to have the minimum clearance. I measure to the edge of the fixutre and sometimes they go in and put in some huge fixture and can fix it by either putting in a smaller fixture or a fluorescent fixture.

I agree, you must still maintain the required distance to shelves.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.