Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

earlejohnson

Hey guys hope everyone is well. I have looked myself but could not find any referance in the code book for bomb shelter, is there anything in the code that specifcly deals with bomb shelters. Looking for any and all info. What classification would it fall under etc. Only thing I know about it right now is that it has 30in walls and 18in floor and ceiling.:thumbsup:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Hey guys hope everyone is well. I have looked myself but could not find any referance in the code book for bomb shelter, is there anything in the code that specifcly deals with bomb shelters. Looking for any and all info. What classification would it fall under etc. Only thing I know about it right now is that it has 30in walls and 18in floor and ceiling.:thumbsup:

Depending on what's in it, and how you get in and out, it might be confined space when you are working in there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I doubt the code has anything to say about it. Just follow the rules-- I would probably use conduit exposed on the walls or inside the walls. Curiosity-- will it be a full size living space? I saw a house that was bermed into a hill and had a sod roof.

earlejohnson

More info

More info

All emt. Utility power and back up generator. When it is finished it will be covered with dirt and have a helo pad on it.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
All emt. Utility power and back up generator. When it is finished it will be covered with dirt and have a helo pad on it.

Is there an engineer involved in this job? or is this something you are building for yourself?

I hope someone is considering the ventilation issues

I almost lost a man in an underground structure like that over a bit of spilled xylene (paint thinner). And from what he told me it happened really quick. And there was a gas detector down in the hole with him. Thank god his helper responded quick with a scott air pack.

earlejohnson

There is a full set of prints. No I am not doing this myself. Its for the company that I work for. I was just looking for code ref. and if anyone could shed some light on a project that I have never done.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There is a full set of prints. No I am not doing this myself. Its for the company that I work for. I was just looking for code ref. and if anyone could shed some light on a project that I have never done.

The NEC is unlikely to be very helpful. You might look into the local building codes for "underground structure" or some reference to basements or sub-basements.

iwire

Staff member

To the NEC it is nothing special, it is a space. Wire it like you would any similar space above ground.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There are a fair number of people who have added these kind of shelters to their homes, especially in tornado prone areas.

This may not be a blast (bomb) shelter at all.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Is this place going to be running on generator power?

Where is the generator located? In the same hole in the ground with the people?

Besoeker

Depending on what's in it, and how you get in and out, it might be confined space when you are working in there.
In UK I think it would be considered a confined space.
A couple of months back I, and a few of my colleagues, had confined space training. (And another certificate to add to the trophy cabinet.....:roll:)
Quite interesting what can be considered a confined space.
An excavation trench for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.