Service Lateral to Meter Feeding 2 service entrances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjenks

An electrical contractors wants to change my single 400A meter-400A MB Panel to 2 200A BM Panels from the meter. When you do that you loose Table 310.15(B)(6) from the meter to the panels for the service entrance cables. However, I can't figure out for sure if I can keep the service lateral to this single residence fall under 310.15(B)(6) (#400 CU)? I would think I can because while the service entrance cables don't see all the diversity, the service lateral does. However, I wonder if I loose the table option for the service later because of the two service entrance cables?

Bjenks

Service lateral is from a ground mounted transformer underground to an outside mounted meter on the dwelling unit. Then double lugged back under ground into the garage where that are two 200A MB panels. Using #3/0 CU to each panel from the meter per 310.16. However, I can't conclude that I can use #400 CU from the transformer to the meter using 310.15(B)(6). I think I can since it is a single conductor to a single dwelling, but I wonder if I loss that options since I am splitting it up at the meter to the panels?

Hendrix

Service lateral is from a ground mounted transformer underground to an outside mounted meter on the dwelling unit. Then double lugged back under ground into the garage where that are two 200A MB panels. Using #3/0 CU to each panel from the meter per 310.16. However, I can't conclude that I can use #400 CU from the transformer to the meter using 310.15(B)(6). I think I can since it is a single conductor to a single dwelling, but I wonder if I loss that options since I am splitting it up at the meter to the panels?
If the POCO owns everything to the meter (which is the case around here), Then you don't have to worry about it.

Buck Parrish

Around here what you have described is not covered in the NEC. And for a 400 amp residential, the poco almost always runs 4/0 AL If it's a long way 250 AL

Status
Not open for further replies.