AIC fault calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

californiaexel

Hi,
Can somebody tell me how can I do fault current calculation? If I know DWP fault current rationg, Main distribution size how can I find AIC rating of my branch circuit?
Thank you

zog

Hi,
Can somebody tell me how can I do fault current calculation? If I know DWP fault current rationg, Main distribution size how can I find AIC rating of my branch circuit?
Thank you

AIC is a rating of an OCPD, you don't calculate it, you calculate your available fault current at that point and make sure the AIC rating of the OCPD is greater than the available fault current. If you know the fault current at one point you can use the point to point method to find fault current levels at other points in your system but you need to be aware of other factors such as motor contribution that can effect that, really you should have an engineer do this but here is a good primer on how to do this.
http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...ch_Lib_Short_Circuit_Current_Calculations.pdf

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
The easiest way to learn about it/do it, without getting into extreme overly complicated methods is called the MVA Method.

It works well for smaller simple systems, and easily do-able by hand.

Type "MVA Method" into Google and you'll get plenty of choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.