Receptacle near Eye wash station

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Does a receptacle located near by (2 ft away) eye wash station need to be GFCI? The code only lists for commercial building only kitchen, roof top and outdoor. my take on it, this is not a kitchen sink. Any thoughts? Thanks,

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Does a receptacle located near by (2 ft away) eye wash station need to be GFCI? The code only lists for commercial building only kitchen, roof top and outdoor. my take on it, this is not a kitchen sink. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Read to 210.8(B)(5)

Roger

hurk27

Depending upon the code cycle the OP is on 210.8(B)(5) was changed from 2005 to 2008, in 2005 it was for outdoor receptacles serving HVAC units this was lumped into 210.8(B)(4) and new wording of 210.8(B)(5) was put in place.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger:

210.8(B)(5) for outdoors applications. This eye wash is located indoor.
I guess I should of asked what code cycle you are under, see Hurks post above.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have literally used them to rinse my eating utensils after lunch and breaks.

Roger
That would set off alarms on a number of them that I have worked on.
Even if you do wash things in them, I don't see them as sinks and triggering a requirement for GFCIs.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That would set off alarms on a number of them that I have worked on.
Even if you do wash things in them, I don't see them as sinks and triggering a requirement for GFCIs.
OTOH, there are those that would see them as sinks and would have a pretty good argument for their point of view IMO.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Other than the ones that are installed as part of a lab sink, I have never seen one that would call a sink.
What is the reason for the GFCI sink rule? The fact that there is water near the receptacle or the fact that is it likely that a portable electric appliance would be used at the sink?

iwire

Staff member
Other than the ones that are installed as part of a lab sink, I have never seen one that would call a sink.

IMO it is a sink even though I doubt that it is what the CMP had in mind.

Merriam Webster said:
Definition of SINK

c : a stationary basin connected with a drain and usually a water supply for washing and drainage

What is the reason for the GFCI sink rule?

What does that have to do with the words in the NEC? ;)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
IMO it is a sink even though I doubt that it is what the CMP had in mind.
Merriam Webster said:
Definition of SINK

c : a stationary basin connected with a drain and usually a water supply for washing and drainage
I have seen very few that were connected to a drain, and its purpose is "rinsing", not "washing".

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I have seen very few that were connected to a drain, and its purpose is "rinsing", not "washing".

They have drains but they are not usually connected to the waste lines, they drain to the floor. The difference between rinsing and washing can be debated but they seem fairly close to me. We don't consider them sinks but we require GFCI's as if they were sinks. Seems like a minor expense for an industrial facility just to be on the safe side.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They have drains but they are not usually connected to the waste lines, they drain to the floor. The difference between rinsing and washing can be debated but they seem fairly close to me. We don't consider them sinks but we require GFCI's as if they were sinks. Seems like a minor expense for an industrial facility just to be on the safe side.
I just don't see how there is a safety hazard just because there non-GFCI receptacle close by.

WorkSafe

FWIW,

The Air Force requires GFCI protection within 2 feet of eye wash station and 5 feet for emergency showers. I didn't see anything in the ANSI standard for the protection either, so not sure where they got it from. People who write our standards see "water" and automatically think GFCI required. Doesn't bother me and the cost is minimal for us. If it makes people feel are warm and fuzzy inside, it's okay. :happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.