Shunt Trip Breaker circuit possibly wired wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gottagobideo

I am going to troubleshoot a shunt trip protected ansul system. I am told that the shunt trip circuit breaker wired to the NC contacts from ansul system. When the ansul system trips the shunt trip breaker doesn't trip, also the shunt trip breaker trips when it has a load. What could be wrong? Should it be wired to NO off the ansul?

Thank You

Jason

kwired

Electron manager
Like has been said "did it ever work?".

Is this something that was working then quit? Or is is something someone unexperienced tried to connect and they are now stuck? If the latter be prepared for anything.

NO contact generally supplies a shunt trip, NC contact generally supplies an enabling contactor(s). Note this is the state of contacts during normal operation and not necessarily the uninstalled laying on the table state of contacts. What you actually have is likely NO held closed or NC held open during normal operation.

If it trips with load there is either too much load, short circuit or ground fault, or GFCI improperly wired or with ground fault in the load. Some possibility of defective breaker. It could be shunt trip breaker that is not properly connected also.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Note this is the state of contacts during normal operation and not necessarily the uninstalled laying on the table state of contacts. What you actually have is likely NO held closed or NC held open during normal operation.
Contactors are usually shown in a circuit diagram in the de-energized condition........

kwired

Electron manager
The switch itself will be marked C, NO, and NC. This is the state of the switch uninstalled and just laying there on a table in front of you. If its normal state of rest when installed is in the actuated position then how are you supposed to know if when someone says "use the NO contact" if that means NO as marked on the switch or NO as the thing sits there in its normal operating position. "NC held open" makes that clear. Well done wiring diagrams will indicate this also without wording. A different symbol is used for NO and for NCHO. But you do need to pay attention to catch it.

iwire

Staff member
Then you replace contactors by contacts.Now I hope you would understand.....

It is great you are so willing to comment about things you don't know about.

Yes, I can place a switch on a table and that is it's 'normal state'.

Now place this switch in a Ansul system and which are you going to use NO or NC to trigger a shunt trip when the fire suppression system is activated?

Sometime listening is better than speaking.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

It is great you are so willing to comment about things you don't know about.

Yes, I can place a switch on a table and that is it's 'normal state'.

Now place this switch in a Ansul system and which are you going to use NO or NC to trigger a shunt trip when the fire suppression system is activated?

Sometime listening is better than speaking.

iwire,your stand is pretty silly.While I was trying to help the OP with his problem,you are trying to
squabble with me.Try to grow up.
As for your question,the contact which is NO in the deenergized condition i.e in its normal state should have been used by the OP.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
iwire,your stand is pretty silly.While I was trying to help the OP with his problem,you are trying to
squabble with me.Try to grow up.
As for your question,the contact which is NO in the deenergized condition i.e in its normal state should have been used by the OP.

What is in question is not a relay or contactor it is typically a limit switch that changes state when the fire suppression system is operated.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

What is in question is not a relay or contactor it is typically a limit switch that changes state when the fire suppression system is operated.
I said about contactor for illustrative purpose.
The contacts of limit switch or whatever it may be should be NO initially.

kwired

Electron manager
I said about contactor for illustrative purpose.
The contacts of limit switch or whatever it may be should be NO initially.

That is what the debate is over. If this switch is intended to operate a shunt trip it needs connected to whatever is NO in normal operating position, which may not be NO open when the switch is removed from the actuating device and is just laying there on a table.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

That is what the debate is over. If this switch is intended to operate a shunt trip it needs connected to whatever is NO in normal operating position, which may not be NO open when the switch is removed from the actuating device and is just laying there on a table.
The OP has to check up if the subject limit switch in the installed condition is NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.