Feeders feeding equipment in separate building

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Details make all the difference.

I would say you are permitted to supply this load according to 225.30(D).

I agree.

But I also think you must enter the second building and place a service rated disconnect near the existing service or feeder disconnecting means that currently supplies that building.

I could be wrong about needing it placed near the other service or feeder disconnecting means but even if so, it must still have a service rated disconnect near point of entry to the second building. Check with the AHJ.

You don't need to group the feeder disconnect with the service disconnect but the disconnects must be identified in accordance with 225.37.

Chris

resistance

Wow, what a change!!! I say, if you plan to ask a question, at least check back to see where your question went?unless you have a life?.;)

kwired

Electron manager
You don't need to group the feeder disconnect with the service disconnect but the disconnects must be identified in accordance with 225.37.

Chris

I can go with that, but you still need a disconnect nearest point of entry (which how far this may be is another debate) in the second building don't you?

raider1

Staff member
I can go with that, but you still need a disconnect nearest point of entry (which how far this may be is another debate) in the second building don't you?

Yes, a disconnecting means is required in accordance with 225.31 and 225.32 which would require it to be located outside the building or inside nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes, a disconnecting means is required in accordance with 225.31 and 225.32 which would require it to be located outside the building or inside nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.

Chris

I find this a strange requirement esp since the wire is protected at the source-- if it is a feeder. Now we can go under a slab and come up inside the building but we would have no idea where so what is the purpose-- it is not for the FD, IMO, esp since they would have no idea where the disconnect is either.

raider1

Staff member
I find this a strange requirement esp since the wire is protected at the source-- if it is a feeder. Now we can go under a slab and come up inside the building but we would have no idea where so what is the purpose-- it is not for the FD, IMO, esp since they would have no idea where the disconnect is either.

I agree that this is an odd situation but 225.32 does not differentiate between buildings that are 1 micron apart or 1 mile apart.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
FWIW we do the same thing with service conductors. The service disco can be quite far inside and the location not self evident.

I realize that and I have done it also, but my point is why must we do this if the feeder is protected by OCPD. Why can't I install the disconnect anywhere since it is protected. It is just a sub panel with a ground rod.

kwired

Electron manager
I realize that and I have done it also, but my point is why must we do this if the feeder is protected by OCPD. Why can't I install the disconnect anywhere since it is protected. It is just a sub panel with a ground rod.

Do you feel same way for a building that has reasonable separation from the building it is fed from?

As far as a fire department - local jurisdictions can implement whatever they want and maybe demand that the disconnect be with the other disconnect (service) in that building. NEC doesn't say that however.

Don't many FD also call POCO to a structure fire and have them disconnect power away from building like at the source of a drop or lateral - this way there is no power in building even on supply side of service equipment. I know on smaller services they often pull meter - sometimes even a CT meter that does not disconnect anything, but this still leaves a live drop or lateral that they usually want disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.