ground or neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes Smith

At a house that I am finishing on, the owner has a welder, that the male plug is a 3 wire 50 amp 125/250 volt. The panel that will feed the receptacle for it is a 4 wire system. My question is, should I connect to the neutral OR the ground bar at the panel (I have not seen the welder at this time) ? Thanks in advance.

Unless I'm missing something, it would be straight 250 volt (2 hots and a ground). This would be the cord end and receptacle:
www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=931&section=41808&minisite=10251

kwired

Electron manager

iwire

Staff member
I never understand how something can be perfectly safe, and then with the stroke of a pen, people start yelling that "you're going to kill somebody"

Because it may not have been 'perfectly safe' before. It may have been simply safe enough at the time.

As time moves forward our perception of what is safe and what is not changes, and it should.

iwire

Staff member
The real risk is the possibility of an open neutral on the line side of the subpanel and having line or near line voltage on the case of the welder as measured to ground. This is one of the reasons the code does not permit new dryer circuits to be 3 wire circuits.

Thank you for posting what was on my mind.

Rick Christopherson

You are not thinking it through.
Yes I was. If you have a floating neutral upstream from the panel, it's going to take the ground with it. If it's a main panel with a bond, both conductors are going to be pulled to whatever voltage the floating neutral gets pulled to.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes I was. If you have a floating neutral upstream from the panel, it's going to take the ground with it. If it's a main panel with a bond, both conductors are going to be pulled to whatever voltage the floating neutral gets pulled to.
That would be true for an open neutral on the line side of the main bonding jumper, but I thought we were talking about a subpanel? (your comment in post #13)

kwired

Electron manager
If you have a floating neutral on the service does it really matter if the conductor in question is a neutral or equipment ground? Either one is going to be raised the same level (or close enough for what really matters) in reference to ground when this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.